• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Pumps That Suck

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
Finally started really tearing into the wifes yj. It originally had the carbed 4.2 so there's no in-tank pump, just a pick-up in the middle of the tank. I grabbed the same Walbro inline pump that everyone uses for an ls swap. Do you guys think it will live if it has to draw fuel up out of the tank rather than being gravity fed? I could mount the pump so it sits at about the middle of the tank so the first half might have a small siphon effect helping it. The other option would be to drill out the tank lower and run bulkhead fittings. What say you?

Awesome. I just looked and it is indeed the 392. I was always told that mechanicals pull and electrics push. Thanks!

Re: Re: Fuel Pumps That Suck

kmcminn said:
The walbro gsl 392 should work just fine. It does suck fuel.
This what I'm using. My pump is mounted just above bottom of the tank.

When it gets hot it sure is a loud bastard though. I also keep a spare pump that I let run dry once as a backup.

That's what I have in the buggy too but it is mounted below the tank with the tank outlet on the bottom. I have also been keeping hers in my bag as a spare. Now I don't have a backup plan. Maybe I can rig an old windshield washer fluid pump to work. #thestruggleisreal

If you run the pump below the tank even if the outlet is at the top it really only pulls to prime. After that its "gravity fed" a bit so it doesn't cause the pump to struggle as hard.

Latest posts