• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

full hydro steering issue

mtnjunky327

kinda new at this.maybe I can get some help on here.ive got full hydro steering on my buggy.cooler etc. it steers fine until your turnin 4500-6000 rpm on a hill.then the wheel is very stiff and turns super slow making it very hard to control. any tips or info will be appreciated.thanks

I will get back to you on the orbital valve specs.the pump is off a late model dirt track car.the reservoir is about 8 inches above the pump.and im just running power steering fluid.prestone brand I think.

Sounds like a volume issue. Is your reservoir feed to the pump facing forward or to the rear of the buggy? If your turning High RPM the pump is going to be trying to move alot of fluid, if your facing up hill and the outlet line from your reservoir is facing forward, the fluid in the reservoir will flow away from the drain and starve the pump.

it goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump.the hose between the 2 is only about 6 inches long.it don't run forward or back just straight down

I would guess cavitation as well. As the pump runs at faster speeds & the output volume increases the Net Positive Suction Head required (NPSHr) increases. Also as the pump runs at faster speeds & the output volume increases the NPSHa (a=available) decreases.

When NPSHr<=NPSHa the pump cavitates

The NPSHa decrease is caused by the velocity increasing inside the suction line on the pump. Can also be caused by the volume (fluid level) inside your reservoir decreasing. Assuming you have no leaks & ignoring pressure hose swell this should be a non-issue due to PS pumps being positive displacement.

To fix your problem you could slow your pump down (change pulley) or increase your reservoir size (make it taller, diameter has no affect on NPSHa).

Changing the pulley would decrease the steering power at lower RPM's.

Jeremy

Latest posts