• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full hydro steering issue

FullThrottle89

Ok to start i have, psc pump (p pump i think?), psc reservoir, psc orbital, royal purple fluid, tsc 8" single ended ram. now the issue is, turns to the right (extended stroke) with no issue, but WILL NOT turn to the left (return stroke) at all, steering wheel gets real hard to turn and will slowly turn but the tires will not turn. i have to do a ten point turn to go left. anyone have any idea what might cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just to give it a try - swap the lines on the ram and see if the problem swaps direction

I'd say your pump may be on its way out and not making enough pressure to retract the ram.

Or if your orbital is one that has built in pressure relief valves, one of the valves may be messed up

FullThrottle89 said:
how do i identify if i have that orbital? this setup was on the rig when i bought it.

Part # on the orbital.

if is is one of the old PSC branded orbitals (they don't sell these anymore) and not an Eaton/Charlynn, there is a good chance the orbital is bad. They don't have a great track record.

I had a TG orbital, and a PSC branded orbital, they were identical from what I could tell (external marking, except the sticker on the end...) They are both known for having problems, but they also sold a ton of them, so a ton more of them on the market I suspect.

I've never had a problem with a Sauer-Danfoss or Eaton/Charlynn orbital. They are $$$ though, unless you find a used one.

On my new buggy I'm going to try a "Young Powertech" orbital (Chinese, but looks to be better quality) from Tri State Hydraulics.

TBItoy said:
I'd say your pump may be on its way out and not making enough pressure to retract the ram.

Or if your orbital is one that has built in pressure relief valves, one of the valves may be messed up

When I had full hydro on the CJ7, once it wouldn't steer left I knew the pump was going down. That's just my experiences, but I was running a factory power steering pump with a reservoir versus something more suited for that situation (PSC or TG)

It does take more pressure to retract the cylinder due to a smaller working area of the piston. The bigger the rod the more pressure is needed.