• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full hydro steering?

Jeremy1

First time plumbing full hydro steering.
Question if I mount a heat sink style oil cooler slightly above the steering reservoir, will the oil run out of the cooler and over fill the reservoir when the engine is shut off?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, yeah. One end will flow with gravity all the way down to the reservoir.

No big deal though, it doesn't really matter that much, but know it will aerate your fluid and it's not the best. Reservoir is supposed to be the highest point.

reservoir needs to be highest point. call PSC if you have an questions. folks there are extremely helpful.

Make sure reservoir is highest point. Or at least most of the reservoir is above cooler.

I will also agree that a plate and fin cooler with fan is best.

Ok thanks
That's one of the last things to be mounted on the chassis, and things are getting cramped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ToledoDan said:
reservoir needs to be highest point. call PSC if you have an questions. folks there are extremely helpful.

^^^^^ THIS, you want any and all air pockets to rise to the highest point to dissipate and the reservoir should always be at the highest point. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

While we're on the subject. If I mounted my heat sink cooler in front of my radiator (rear mount) would that be to far to be pushing fluid?

Also the hose from orbital to cooler, how much pressure will it see? Does it need to be a hydraulic hose or will push lock style hose be fine

Dirt700 said:
While we're on the subject. If I mounted my heat sink cooler in front of my radiator (rear mount) would that be to far to be pushing fluid?

Also the hose from orbital to cooler, how much pressure will it see? Does it need to be a hydraulic hose or will push lock style hose be fine

No, but I wouldn't waste time with a rear mount heat sink, maybe put it inline on the frame rail or something.

Push lock will be fine pressure wise. It's just an open hose going back to the reservoir (no way to generate pressure) make sure it's big enough though. Like -10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
No, but I wouldn't waste time with a rear mount heat sink, maybe put it inline on the frame rail or something.

Push lock will be fine pressure wise. It's just an open hose going back to the reservoir (no way to generate pressure) make sure it's big enough though. Like -10

As of now this is what it will be
Res. to pump -12 push lock
Pump to orbital -8 hydraulic hose
Orbital to ram -6 hydraulic hose
Orbital to cooler -8 push lock
Cooler to res. -8 push lock

Dirt700 said:

Looks great.

Bringing the cooler up front would be better to avoid long ass lines to the back and front.

TBItoy said:

Thanks

Dirt700 said:

If you're running a high flow pump I'd consider stepping up to -8 on pressure hoses and -10 on cooler hoses. Especially on with long hoses

Dirt700 said:
Well ****, now I'm second guessing my heat sink cooler.
I actually swapped from a plate/fin type cooler to a aluminum heat sink cooler and it helped my steering a lot. Better flow, no more fluid cavitation. Almost acts like another resi considering it hold a lot of fluid. Helped my fluid settle down

TBItoy said:
If you're running a high flow pump I'd consider stepping up to -8 on pressure hoses and -10 on cooler hoses. Especially on with long hoses

It's a cbr xr series. And I can get most of the fittings thru work, so that saves some money.

One of these days I'm going to have to shake your hand, you have answered a **** ton of questions for me here recently, thank you.

leeadam94 said:
I actually swapped from a plate/fin type cooler to a aluminum heat sink cooler and it helped my steering a lot. Better flow, no more fluid cavitation. Almost acts like another resi considering it hold a lot of fluid. Helped my fluid settle down

Thanks Lee, I just need to bring it down and stay about 2weeks once I get the chassis so you and Brad can help me finish it out. My cooler is a 24" single pass, I bet it holds at least a quart if not a little more

I would love to see some testing between different cooler types. Most agree that a stacked plate cooler will remove the most heat from the fluid. That style in my go to on a transmission cooler.
I like to use a tube and fin style cooler on a steering system because they flow very well.
That being said I am using a heat sink double pass cooler on my buggy steering and it's on the PRESSURE side which should be a no no, but it's been working well for a while now.

Latest posts