• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

full hydrolic steering ?

Gittinit

I'm in process of converting to full hydrolic but I have some concerns.

My current setup is toyota axle, surplus center ram (6") and 4.3 stock steering pump. Its sluggish to say the least and recently I exploded my Detroit locker and installed a welded 3rd at least temperaly, and damn, it takes both hands to turn the wheel and it wears me out just to turn around in a parking lot.

I could just buy a kit as I'm sure some of you will suggest but I will be swapping in one ton axles next winter so I'd like to buy just once.

And now for the questions...

Can I use an orbital suscessfully with a 6" ram that is designed for an 8"? How will it effect the steering?
Is there any reason I couldn't is my current assist ram mounted as is in a full hydrolic situation?
I've been looking at the orbitals sold by trail gear. Are they any good? If not what do you recommend?

Your assist ram will be too small for full hydro.

Right now you have a steering box and ram turning the tires, with full hydro you are depending 100% on the ram.

Yes you can use a any orbital on any ram, you'll just have more turns lock to lock with a longer/larger ram (more fluid capacity).

Are you sure your pump is putting out good pressure now?

The pump I have now will be replaced whether I can make full hydro work or not? The ram is 1.5x6 and its stroke is suited to the toyota axle it is mounted to

By to small are u meaning stroke or volume? If u mean by volume, using this ram would result in less turns lock to lock and id be multiplying the issue by using the shorter 6" ram with the orbital designed for an 8"?

Sorry if that's confusing just trying to rationalize in my head what is effected by what, while keeping the orbital fluid flow as a constant variable in the system.

As for a pump the research I have done has turned up one from a 6.0 equipped with hydroboost to get the fluid flow I'm wanting.

The ram is too small you have to run a 2 inch bore at the smallest. Easiest explanation bigger works easier. As for the pump psc offers a pulley to help with the slow speed of the 4.3l. I have a new one I'm not going to use pm me if interested. Hope info helps