• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gambler 500 - I guess it is time to learn about VW's

Poohbair

Pabst O'Holic
... going to do the Gambler 500 this summer

Picked up this peach tonight.

I guess it is time to try and learn about VW's

24991140_10214759501002829_2343067169466835070_n.jpg

Saw the Dirt Every Day episode when they took the van through the Gambler 500, looks like a cool deal for sure

Saw the Dirt Every Day episode when they took the van through the Gambler 500, looks like a cool deal for sure

Build a car and come. So far it is me in the Baja, my brother in a newer style like 2000 beetle, Hunter in a Geo Metro, Reuble is looking for a car, Jordan is looking for a car.... and Brad and TJ are both being mr. poopy pants and don't want to go.

Just picked up a 98 deville for the race, gonna cheech and Chong it out, dingle balls, Mexi blanket seats, and custom mural hood and trunk lid,etc. Will be our first time,

Build a car and come. So far it is me in the Baja, my brother in a newer style like 2000 beetle, Hunter in a Geo Metro, Reuble is looking for a car, Jordan is looking for a car.... and Brad and TJ are both being mr. poopy pants and don't want to go.

C*nts...

Doing the Washington or the OG Oregon one?

I saw it referenced somewhere too, then sought out the Dirt Everyday episode and it looked like it could be fun, however finding good, solid info was a little sketchy. Rather then just websites telling what, when and where, is seems mostly loosy, social media or web-pages set up like social media were info is come and gone or you have to dig and piece it together if you weren't part of the original conversation.

Be interested in trying depending on the who, when, what and where.

Northstar? Lots of power, make sure it has antifreeze

Yes, northstar. 1999 deville 155k and extremely clean. Was owned by the captain on my pool team, original owner and probably never saw 60mph. Always serviced and babied. Scored this pimp ride for $250 he said it was running shity and didnt have much power. When I got it home I first thought convertor was plugged, but after pulling off engine cover I found all new plug wires, so got to looking and found 1 plug wire wasn't even on , then found 2 plug wires were crossed, purrs like a kitten now. Damn near new tires, had 18 gallons of gas in it, had a $700 alternator put in 2 months ago, oil changed 100 miles ago, this thing is mint, I may just have to keep it for awhile, I have a 1994 camry as backup in case I keep/sell it.

Last edited:
Yes, northstar. 1999 deville 155k and extremely clean. Was owned by the captain on my pool team, original owner and probably never saw 60mph. Always serviced and babied. Scored this pimp ride for $250 he said it was running shity and didnt have much power. When I got it home I first thought convertor was plugged, but after pulling off engine cover I found all new plug wires, so got to looking and found 1 plug wire wasn't even on , then found 2 plug wires were crossed, purrs like a kitten now. Damn near new tires, had 18 gallons of gas in it, had a $700 alternator put in 2 months ago, oil changed 100 miles ago, this thing is mint, I may just have to keep it for awhile, I have a 1994 camry as backup in case I keep/sell it.

Use the caddy. The Camry is a better car.

We were the Caddy dealer for a long time. The Northstar is a great engine, until it isn't. They were prone to leak oil. Lots of leaks. And they had a tendency to self implode when the cooling system failed. Especially bad if you didn't use the proper coolant. The engines are aluminum, and they'd corrode internally.

VWs only run 100 miles at a time!!

I tried it twice and gave up! One baja and one sandrail.

I have a whole fleet of $500 beaters!:redneck:

Doing the Washington or the OG Oregon one?

I saw it referenced somewhere too, then sought out the Dirt Everyday episode and it looked like it could be fun, however finding good, solid info was a little sketchy. Rather then just websites telling what, when and where, is seems mostly loosy, social media or web-pages set up like social media were info is come and gone or you have to dig and piece it together if you weren't part of the original conversation.

Be interested in trying depending on the who, when, what and where.

We are planning or the OG Oregon one... but may do the Washington one too depending on when it is...

... haven't really worked on it... too cold... just been doing some reading on how these things work, and **** they are weird compared to a "normal" car... The torsion tubes on the rear are still kind of mind ****ing me... I need to take 1 apart and see how it works in person, then I can wrap my head around it.

... original plan was to run a 31x9.50 rear and a 7.00-15 front ... bias ply.

Since I am budget shopping plans changed, and I am going to convert to the 5 on huge bolt pattern, move the current 215's from the rear to the front, and put these used 235's on the rear... on some white steel wheels... all for what I was going to spend just on the rear tires...

budget shopping!

26804872_10215121027840774_5712217173981340018_n.jpg

I like it!

Was eyeballing a camo painted suzuki sidekick that was on CL for like $800 for this... got to see if its still available.... and get a couple project out of the yard or the wife will kill me......

I've seen a couple other cool, odd-ball rides that would be bad ass, but most of its not cheap enough for a one-and-done event like this, some of its just down right too much $$

I like it!

Was eyeballing a camo painted suzuki sidekick that was on CL for like $800 for this... got to see if its still available.... and get a couple project out of the yard or the wife will kill me......

I've seen a couple other cool, odd-ball rides that would be bad ass, but most of its not cheap enough for a one-and-done event like this, some of its just down right too much $$

Hoping mine will be more than a 1 time use rig :D

Latest posts