• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Garage wiring help

ridefast

Needing to run a 220V, 50a (NEMA 6-50) outlet in the garage.

Location of outlet is to be 100-125' from panel, which will support the addition.

What size wire do I need? Does wire need to be run in conduit?

Additionally, if i were to desire having matching locations on either side of the garage for the same outlet, could I double up on breaker if it were 1000% positive that they would never be used at the same time?

I would suggest using copper something around 4 or 6. I usually oversize things a little in the interest of mistakes or additions later but 125 feet to go size difference might make enough cost impact to justify smaller wire.
You can find wire size recommendations with this calculator.
http://www.paigewire.com/(X(1)S(qq0cir3zcimspqmp411zecpr))/pumpWireCalc.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
Hope the link works and good luck
not sure of local code requirements for running in conduit or doubling up on the breaker
However It can be run without conduit and if the breaker has lugs large enough you could double up or piggy back one outlet to the next not that its the best to do but it would probably be fine.

I went with 6/2 wiring, single straight run about 100' from the panel. Talked to two electricians that said that 8/2 would probably work, but might notice the drop once I cranked up towards the upper limit of amperage.

Will update if the place burns down or the welder starts spitting funny or something.

But so far so good.

Latest posts