• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas can

jeeppoor

When you go to the big parks do you carry a gas can?
We have a small tank and the wife doesn't want me to replace it with a larger one because we lose the rear seat. And she wants to be able to take the grand kids for a ride the few times a year they are with us.
So we were thinking of carrying a spare gas can (say 5 gallons) and strapping it down in the back.
Anyone done this?
What did you use?

When you go to the big parks do you carry a gas can?
We have a small tank and the wife doesn't want me to replace it with a larger one because we lose the rear seat. And she wants to be able to take the grand kids for a ride the few times a year they are with us.
So we were thinking of carrying a spare gas can (say 5 gallons) and strapping it down in the back.
Anyone done this?
What did you use?

take the gas can, but leave it at camp?

Personally, I wouldnt want a gas can strapped down in the back of my rig going anywhere on the trails....but thats just me.

I guess maybe a rotopax or 2 mounted somwhere?

Unless you only have like a 3-4 gallon fuel tank, I can't see needing to carry a gas can at an offroad park?

Seems like you could just swing back by the trailer at lunch time and top off.

I typically bring 10 to 15 gallons of additional fuel (poor fuel mileage rigs and heavy foot), but I leave it at camp. Too much risk of that extra fuel making a bad situation really really bad out in the field. I don't remember who made it but there was a tank that fit behind the seat of a CJ7 that was around 13 to 15 gallons. If I remember correctly it was shaped to fit the storage area behind the seat. Last jeep I had, I put one of the gen rite tanks in it. It was a little lower than the stocker but it came with good armor and was 15 gallons. I could typically go all day with a healthy V8 and heavy foot.

i have a 11 gal cell in mine so i have the same thoughts... i bought this gas can thinking i could strap it with a ratchet strap on my cooler... and they stack so keeping them in the back of the truck is super easy!!!!

I have thought about this myself. My cell will hold about 12 or so gallons without having venting issues. This is never an issue because I always come back to the truck for lunch and top it off. However I would like at some point do some longer rides maybe even out west. I didnt really want to change my cell for 1 trip every 4 years I might need it. I thought about 2 of the the 4 gallon rotopax but figured making a secondary cell I could bolt and tube clamp under the current one might be best. Haven't given it much thought yet but am interested in good options.

I have thought about this myself. My cell will hold about 12 or so gallons without having venting issues. This is never an issue because I always come back to the truck for lunch and top it off. However I would like at some point do some longer rides maybe even out west. I didnt really want to change my cell for 1 trip every 4 years I might need it. I thought about 2 of the the 4 gallon rotopax but figured making a secondary cell I could bolt and tube clamp under the current one might be best. Haven't given it much thought yet but am interested in good options.

I've thought about doing exactly that if I ever make out west. My new tank is only 14 gallons by the numbers but will probably only hold about 11-12 with the fuel pump in it. If I'm ever lucky enough to make it to Moab, I'll probably find a way to mount a couple Rotopax.

I thought about this roto things for my CJ that I put around in. It gets pretty shitty mileage on a small tank and the 40 yr old girl gauge doesn't always work the best and Ive had to call the wife a few times to come bring me gas before.