• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas in the Diesel!

pholmann said:
Makes great weed killer. :****:

And antbed killer! You already bought it, so that's cheaper than buying Roundup....sure the EPA may frown, but what they don't know won't hurt em...fresh groundwater is overrated. Haha

Re: Re: Re: Gas in the Diesel!

patooyee said:
How often would you say it happens?
I think our company had 3 cross drops last year. We have one of the best, if not the best records on the east coast. That's around 80 trucks a day that deliver between 2-3 million gallons a day.

Only one of those was gas into diesel and it was caught in probably less than a minute of starting the drop. We try to make most of our stores install 3" fittings for diesel and kerosene and 4" for gas so that it makes it much harder for us to **** that up. This mistake happened at a store that had the same size fittings.

This gas into the diesel tank should be a good lesson as to why you shouldn't use diesel in a kerosene heater. We have a different set of rules for hauling kerosene. You're whole trailer has to be loaded with kerosene and it had to be completely loaded with diesel before that. A company dropped gas into kerosene tank once and it cost an Amish family a few lives. Diesel can be hauled with gasoline and there's more of a chance that it could have gas in it and cause a fire.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If they think its bad enough to do injectors they need to do a high pressure fuel pump to. That`s an expensive cab off fix as well. My thinking would be if it harmed the injectors it probably harmed the HPFP as well.

truckbroke said:
If they think its bad enough to do injectors they need to do a high pressure fuel pump to. That`s an expensive cab off fix as well. My thinking would be if it harmed the injectors it probably harmed the HPFP as well.

I'd agree... Hopefully I'll know that part tomorrow. They're flushing today.

truckbroke said:

How do injectors and pumps get damaged? From lack of lube properties in Gas?

patooyee said:
How do injectors and pumps get damaged? From lack of lube properties in Gas?

Exactly. Diesel is way more oily/ waxy than gas. The transfer/priming pump, high pressure pump and injectors depend of that oily nature of the fuel to lubricate those components.

As a Cat diesel mechanic I'll give my option and what I would request if it was my truck. Electric fuel pump in tank, high pressure pump and injectors plus fuel and filters be replace without question.
That is what I would do if I had to stand behind the repair.

To the op. You chose to support the station and in turn you are now in this situation. Not your fault today or 10k miles from now. Push to get these components to be replaced. They all depend on the fuel for lubrication and now have a severely shortened life because of the gas contamination.

RustyC said:
Exactly. Diesel is way more oily/ waxy than gas. The transfer/priming pump, high pressure pump and injectors depend of that oily nature of the fuel to lubricate those components.

As a Cat diesel mechanic I'll give my option and what I would request if it was my truck. Electric fuel pump in tank, high pressure pump and injectors plus fuel and filters be replace without question.

To the op. You chose to support the station and in turn you are now in this situation. Not your fault today or 10k miles from now. Push to get these components to be replaced. They all depend on the fuel for lubrication and now have a severely shortened life because of the gas contamination.

I second this. Everything he has said is 100% fact. I'm an ase certified diesel mechanic as well and he speaks da troof. It's even worse on the older diesels that were pre- ultra low sulfur diesel. They were designed to have fuel with much more lubrication properties from the sulfur. Cover your ass now. You'll pay later if you don't.

RustyC said:

Thanks guys... This is all stuff I read about, but didn't really have the Diesel chops to back it up. Ford said they have their "Diesel Guy" on the project. Normally, I wouldn't trust a dealer as far as I can throw them. Except, they've already done a couple trucks. I'm sure I'll be going in today to chat with them and I'll see what they say about the pumps. I'd guess I should shoot for the pump in the aux tank as well... Sad for them.. ::)

I talked to Racetrac last night to see where we are in te approval process. They had a question about the estimate because there were two totals. Parts & Labor vs. Grand Total including tax, supplies, and EPA fees. Fawking idiots... Anyway, they said my claim is still in the "research" phase. Not approved, Not unapproved! WTF!? Maybe I'll go down with the Fox Newscast in my hand and see how they do.

I bout garuntee you they gonna give some problems paying for anything more than a flush and new filters. All that matters to them is that its running. The problem is 10-20k down the road is it gonna cause premature failure to the HPFP or injectors. That fuel system on a 6.4 is pushing BIG PSI numbers which in return means nothing but very close tolerences that could have been damaged by poor lubrication. If you sit down with the diesel tech I would stress pretty hard to have at least those two things done. 6.4 injectors ain`t nothing to play with either, When they go bad you better pull that bitch over. Got a buddy had one take a **** and he pushed it on about a mile and burnt a hole through the piston due to all the pressure and fuel it dumps. He was pulling as well. An old 7.3 and 6.0 are a little more forgiving with that kind of stuff than that 6.4.

Even they can fall apart tho... I had an injector on my 7.3 die and I limped it home... Shattered the rings on #7 and scored the cyl...
Fuel issues on a diesel are serious chit.

Re:

Find out if Racetrac had their own truck deliver it or if they have another carrier haul for them. Most stations up here hire that all out and I know when we have a problem that we're the ones paying the bill. Might be able to get better results if you cut out the middle man. They're idiots if they wanna risk their reputation over a few thousand dollars.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts