• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas or Diesel??

I heard Kentucky Speedway was full of Super Duty trucks waiting on microchips not too long ago. Hopefully they got that figured out and you don't have to wait to long for it.
Heard there's even more of them in Ohio than Kentucky,luckily most all them are 21 models the one we ordered is a 22. So hopefully I won't get one that's been sitting in a field with rats eating the wires out from under it??? Lol!!

I don't tow big ass weight as I upgraded to a lighter buggy recently. However I traded my 2015 gmc 2500 with the 6.0 and 4.10s for the 2021 1500, just a 5.3 and I don't regret it at all. You do have to account for squat (airbags or whatever) but the damn thing tows better than my 3/4 ton all day.
Interesting….all these people saying they're 1/2 ton is towing better than their 3/4 ton trucks….hmmm

Interesting….all these people saying they're 1/2 ton is towing better than their 3/4 ton trucks….hmmm

2048a82f551f5e3a4ddffeaa0992bb87.jpg

For what it's worth, I have a different experience.

For what it's worth, I have a different experience.

Didn't you go from an "old 1/2 ton" to an "old 3/4 ton"?

And everyone claiming their 1/2 tons tow better are talking about 2018+ half tons with tow ratings of 10K+...

my 2005 1500 silveraydo is only rated at 7400lbs.. and that's pushing it. 5000lbs is very taxing on it.

Didn't you go from an "old 1/2 ton" to an "old 3/4 ton"?

And everyone claiming their 1/2 tons tow better are talking about 2018+ half tons with tow ratings of 10K+...

my 2005 1500 silveraydo is only rated at 7400lbs.. and that's pushing it. 5000lbs is very taxing on it.

I've driven and towed with modern 1/2 tons too (2016 5.0 F150, 2018 Ecodiesel and a 2018 Tundra).
I find my old 3/4 ton to be much more stable than the 3 above.

I'd love to try a max tow ecoboost, I heard they are the ****.

I've driven and towed with modern 1/2 tons too (2016 5.0 F150, 2018 Ecodiesel and a 2018 Tundra).
I find my old 3/4 ton to be much more stable than the 3 above.

I'd love to try a max tow ecoboost, I heard they are the ****.

I agree, it's hard to beat pure weight and heavy/stiff springs when controlling a load of any size.

It may not pull with as much power or stop as good, but it'll handle the weight better.

I agree, it's hard to beat pure weight and heavy/stiff springs when controlling a load of any size.

It may not pull with as much power or stop as good, but it'll handle the weight better.

lol, so it can't stop as well but it handles the weight better??!!

Welllllll, kinda.

The one thing that impressed me the most on the newer vehicles is the brakes. The tundra in particular was amazing in that aspect. They stop much better than my '02 3/4 ton.

But on the other hand, if you have to make an avoidance maneuver or just driving on some twisty roads (like going to Harlan or similar), my truck, feels way more planted, doesn't move at all when you hit a bump, basically doesn't seem phased by the load at all. Any above-mentioned half ton inspired a lot less confidence in my eyes.

The better brakes are nice, but the extra stability seems more enjoyable to me.

I would love to try an ecoboost, with airbags and a load distributing hitch. That may blow my 3/4 ton out of the water. I just haven't tried that yet.

What Enzo said. "Feels" better.

the tail doesn't wag the dog as much.

I'd bet a new f150 will pull and stop an equal load with more authority than a 1991 F350... but the old buckboard stiff HD truck will feel like it's handling the weight better (until it isn't)...

The new 1/2 tons could probably be made equal with high load range tires, add on air bags, sway bars, load distributing hitch, etc.

What Enzo said. "Feels" better.

the tail doesn't wag the dog as much.

I'd bet a new f150 will pull and stop an equal load with more authority than a 1991 F350... but the old buckboard stiff HD truck will feel like it's handling the weight better (until it isn't)...

The new 1/2 tons could probably be made equal with high load range tires, add on air bags, sway bars, load distributing hitch, etc.

. Comparing that clapped out 7.3 f350 to the capability of the new ecoboost is comical. I don't pull near the weight some are but my 150 handles the weight of my car trailer and the buggy just as well as my 05 dodge 2500 Cummins without a airbags or distribution hitch. Plus that 350 can only tow at 65 mph so me towing at 80 isn't really a fair comparison.

. Comparing that clapped out 7.3 f350 to the capability of the new ecoboost is comical. I don't pull near the weight some are but my 150 handles the weight of my car trailer and the buggy just as well as my 05 dodge 2500 Cummins without a airbags or distribution hitch. Plus that 350 can only tow at 65 mph so me towing at 80 isn't really a fair comparison.

I was thinking more like a 351W gas burner, and a truck in good shape not clapped out, but yeah.

They must have done something very right with the new F150. So basically it's a 3/4t.... just rated as a 1/2t. Sounds familiar. Hahah

I'd like to check one out.

I was thinking more like a 351W gas burner, and a truck in good shape not clapped out, but yeah.

They must have done something very right with the new F150. So basically it's a 3/4t.... just rated as a 1/2t. Sounds familiar. Hahah

I'd like to check one out.

Yeah they've implemented 30yrs of technology to make the new trucks work better than a 91.....crazy right? Comparing new 1/2 tons to 1/2tons from 20 yrs ago is the same as comparing diesels 20 yrs apart.

And I'm not saying this 1/2 ton is comparable to new 3/4 diesels. I'm saying it's comparable to 3/4 ton diesels from the turn of the century

I've had my '17 powerstroke for about 2.5 years now, just hit 50k miles (put about 25k mi on it since I've bought it). It would be difficult for me to go back to a gas burner after owning this one. Even my '06 cummins didn't hold a candle to this truck.

with all that being said, I WOULD NOT buy a new truck right now! about like the housing market, hyper-inflated , but that's just my 2c

And I'm not saying this 1/2 ton is comparable to new 3/4 diesels. I'm saying it's comparable to 3/4 ton diesels from the turn of the century
To be clear, I've never said it'll out pull a diesel 3/4 ton. But I'd still put it against any gas 3/4 ton truck.

Latest posts