• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas or Diesel??

The 2018 F150 King Ranch 4x4 3.5 eco boost I've pulled a lifted Polaris Ranger crew 1000 ultimate North Star edition on a 14' dual axle trailer with gate half dozen times on 2hr trips was enough to me for that truck. I see them pulling 30' foot campers all the time but when I pulled that scooter 80-85mph on freeway hills it averages 12mpg and it's soft on curvy roads out in the country. I liked the heated steering wheel and ass massaging seats though but a good set of tires would've probably helped that truck pulling or being weighed down because the factory Goodyear's frankly suck

I just wanna know if money_pit_yj has made a decision yet after all the fine advice he has been given so far?

They must have done something very right with the new F150. So basically it's a 3/4t.... just rated as a 1/2t. Sounds familiar. Hahah
That definitely describes the 2017 Titan HD diesel I had. It had a better ride than any of the 6.6 trucks I had but the power level was closer to the 03 6.6 truck.

Is that loaded with buggy, spares and all that? I feel like 36 ft of enclosed could get real heavy real fast..

That's all loaded yep.
I'm sure you could get it heavier than that.

That said, as is, I'm not sure I'd feel confident towing it with a F150.

That's all loaded yep.

No,I probably wouldn't either. Maybbbe with some upgrades(air bags, load distribution, truck tires, etc…). But definitely not cross country or anything like that.

What in the heck are you doing with 36' of trailer? Buggy takes up 14' ish. You stretching them long legs in the remaining 22'? I guess it's nice to have if you need it. But that seems like a pain to park the remaining 97% of the time.

No,I probably wouldn't either. Maybbbe with some upgrades(air bags, load distribution, truck tires, etc…). But definitely not cross country or anything like that.

What in the heck are you doing with 36' of trailer? Buggy takes up 14' ish. You stretching them long legs in the remaining 22'? I guess it's nice to have if you need it. But that seems like a pain to park the remaining 97% of the time.

Well, my 3/4 ton gasser has no problem pulling it, handling it and stopping it. Outside of the cost of fuel I'd go cross country with it.

I have parking room where it's stored and have never found it too big to park anywhere I've been with it. Having room inside is great. I can also bring another rig if needed.

And you shouldn't. All my responses were in regard to the original poster asking about a 10k camper, I'd assume 20-24 travel trailer. Depending on how far, the terrain, and highways to get there I'd seriously consider the f150 in the correct configuration. There's guys on the 150 page pulling 20-24' enclosed car haulers with minimal issues. In my opinion the trailer you have belongs behind a 3/4 ton or larger truck.

And you shouldn't. All my responses were in regard to the original poster asking about a 10k camper, I'd assume 20-24 travel trailer. Depending on how far, the terrain, and highways to get there I'd seriously consider the f150 in the correct configuration. There's guys on the 150 page pulling 20-24' enclosed car haulers with minimal issues. In my opinion the trailer you have belongs behind a 3/4 ton or larger truck.

But I thought modern 1/2 tons were better at towing than older 3/4 tons ?

But I thought modern 1/2 tons were better at towing than older 3/4 tons ?

In my first hand personal experience towing a buggy on a normal car trailer, yes the new 1/2 ton gas burner is better than my older 3/4 diesel. It's all judgmental what is better and what isn't right? What you find to be a satisfactory towing experience I may find to be miserable.

It's all judgmental what is better and what isn't right? What you find to be a satisfactory towing experience I may find to be miserable.
Based off of this, it seems like the question will never be answered then.

That's all loaded yep.

And with this comment, my trailers have entered the chat! Weight can definitely add up fast.

Fully loaded our 38' trailer with "bare bones" living area (small sink and some cabinets, shower, toilet, storage in the garage area, and water heater/tank), weighed within 250 pounds of our 28' trailer with living area (small sink, bunch of cabinets, shower, toilet, storage in the garage area, and water heater/tank). Biggest difference was weight distribution for length which put more weight on the trailer axles for the 38' trailer and less on the truck bu about 1000 pounds.

But we also carry WAY WAY WAY too much stuff! Typed as I am thinking about other things to bring with me just in case.

Kinda like "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

or "How much lift to clear 33's?"

or "Is there a better tire than the Thornturd?"

The Thornturd is the all time greatest tire ever produced !!

Well, my 3/4 ton gasser has no problem pulling it, handling it and stopping it. Outside of the cost of fuel I'd go cross country with it.

I have parking room where it's stored and have never found it too big to park anywhere I've been with it. Having room inside is great. I can also bring another rig if needed.
I'm sure it just scoots right up Mont Eagle without ever dropping a gear.

And with this comment, my trailers have entered the chat! Weight can definitely add up fast.

Fully loaded our 38' trailer with "bare bones" living area (small sink and some cabinets, shower, toilet, storage in the garage area, and water heater/tank), weighed within 250 pounds of our 28' trailer with living area (small sink, bunch of cabinets, shower, toilet, storage in the garage area, and water heater/tank). Biggest difference was weight distribution for length which put more weight on the trailer axles for the 38' trailer and less on the truck bu about 1000 pounds.

But we also carry WAY WAY WAY too much stuff! Typed as I am thinking about other things to bring with me just in case.
Everyone needs two waffle makers…

Latest posts