• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gear mismatch front to rear

yankster

HC Supporter
Gear mismatch front to rear, how much is too much for trail rig with no street use?
5.38:1 and 5.43:1 are the gears in question.

Re:

I've actually heard of folks running a slightly higher ratio up front. They say it helps the rig climb and turn better.

It's not much but a friend ran yota axles with 4.10 rear & 3.90 front. He felt like it drive better after the 3.90s.

I head the same thing.

Also heard that it helps going downhill. The rear axle will drag the rig and help keeping it straight.

Anyone think going 100mph will show its head more ? The 5:43 would be in the front and 5:38 in the back. High 9 with 10" ring out front and 14bolt in the back

The difference in 5.38 and 5.42 is less than 1%. I would be willing to bet you could see that much difference in just by having various tire pressures.

Rockwells607 said:
Anyone think going 100mph will show its head more ? The 5:43 would be in the front and 5:38 in the back. High 9 with 10" ring out front and 14bolt in the back
100 mph on dirt? I bet there's so much slippage and what not going on that you could have even more difference and not notice it. Though, like others mentioned, it would probably be even better if the front tires moved a little faster than the rear. I imagine it would keep the ass end from kicking out a little better.

squeak12 said:
The difference in 5.38 and 5.42 is less than 1%. I would be willing to bet you could see that much difference in just by having various tire pressures.
Yeah I was gonna say just run a couple extra pounds in 2 of the tires if you were that worried.

Works great in the mud. Most of the really fast drag guys do it. Helps keep the truck straight.

I've ran that gear setup in the yellow jeep and couldn't tell there was any difference at all.

I run a 4:38 in the front and a 4:30 in the rear. Toyota axles. Didn't plan it that way, broke the rear 4 :38, my cheap ass found a 4:30 and crammed it in there. Been on 4 rides, Zero issues so far. Welded both ends and on 39 reds, I don't feel any binding at all. I say go for it.