• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting a title for my explorer, any ideas?

Mattman347

The 7.3L Powerstroke guy
We are going to be making a trip out to Moab this spring/summer and I am wanting to drive the explorer on to the trails if I can instead of towing it. The issue is when I got the explorer years ago I never put it in my name and have since not been able to find thetitle (if I ever got one, cant remember). I contacted the original owner and he tried to get a title for it at the BMV but they said he reported it sold and they can not issue a duplicate. ??? Is there any way around this here in TN? Just thought I would ask on here cause you all seam to be able to get things done! thumb.gif

buy a cheap exploder off clist or Facebook with a good title and do a complete body/frame/drivetrain swap... (VIN swap)

Probably the easiest and quickest way to resolve it quickly.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about buying a cheap explorer and going that route but did not think of the mechanics lean. I will look into it!

Just keep in mind that vin swapping can get you free room and board and a wardrobe of orange jumpsuits.

Re: Getting a title for my explorer, any ideas?

gottagofast said:
Just keep in mind that vin swapping can get you free room and board and a wardrobe of orange jumpsuits.

Maybe if you don't legally own said vehicles or do it with the intent to defraud someone.?

Pretty sure it's legal to replace every single component on a vehicle you own with a parts off another vehicle you own... as long as vehicle matches vin matches title matches tags it'd be a hell of a stretch to say that you are breaking any laws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Getting a title for my explorer, any ideas?

TBItoy said:
Maybe if you don€™t legally own said vehicles or do it with the intent to defraud someone.?

Pretty sure it€™s legal to replace every single component on a vehicle you own with a parts off another vehicle you own... as long as vehicle matches vin matches title matches tags it€™d be a hell of a stretch to say that you are breaking any laws?

Yep, was my thoughts on the matter as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

broncomike said:
I was told by the tag people in Blount County Alabama that is illegal to have a vehicle without a title

I didn't think Alabama even required titles for older vehicles???

My reference comes from scrapping vehicles, if you scrap a vehicle with no title they have to hold it for a number of days. They send the vin the state, and it's recorded as destroyed (so you can't register that vin anymore)

I scrapped all the parts and pieces of my 89 Bronco, but I still "own" it. I fully intend to resurrect it as a buggy, eventually.

Have taken the vin to your local dmv and asked about lost title? They will tell you if it is in your name or someone else's. Worst case do the mechanics lien or buy a cheap parts vehicle and swap what is needed to be legal.

Mechanics lein would be the easiest option by far, unless you want to swap out the slightly dented body etc you have now for one with better body, VIN, and Title.

Depending on which route you go, which county will you tag it in? In Rutherford County once a vehicle is 25 years old you can get the Antique Tags (which is what I did in the XJ) and that way you don't have to deal with yearly emissions etc. Not sure if you are Rutherford or Cannon though.

TBItoy said:

My reference comes from scrapping vehicles, if you scrap a vehicle with no title they have to hold it for a number of days. They send the vin the state, and it's recorded as destroyed (so you can't register that vin anymore)

I scrapped all the parts and pieces of my 89 Bronco, but I still "own" it. I fully intend to resurrect it as a buggy, eventually.

1974 and older doesn't have a title

TBItoy said:

I believe it's anything 30 yrs old or older, you don't. I looked into when we sold my wife's deceased father's old 64 Galaxy. Gave the new owner a signed bill of sale and that was it. thumb.gif

Mattman347 said:
We are going to be making a trip out to Moab this spring/summer and I am wanting to drive the explorer on to the trails if I can instead of towing it. The issue is when I got the explorer years ago I never put it in my name and have since not been able to find thetitle (if I ever got one, cant remember). I contacted the original owner and he tried to get a title for it at the BMV but they said he reported it sold and they can not issue a duplicate. ??? Is there any way around this here in TN? Just thought I would ask on here cause you all seam to be able to get things done! thumb.gif

What state was the Explorer titled in originally?

Another thought/option, I bought a Toyota crawler with a "clean Alabama title" that ended up being an "open Alabama title" (my fault for not checking first). In order to get the Title reissued in my name in Tennessee, I had to contact the last seller according to the title (thanks JD for the name of a previous owner) listed on the Title and have him write a letter stating he had no interest in the vehicle and sold it in XXXX year. I took that letter and my title to the local Clerks Office paid their required fees, and a few weeks later got the Tennessee title in the mail.

Hopefully that's clear as muddy water.

ridered3 said:
What state was the Explorer titled in originally?

Another thought/option, I bought a Toyota crawler with a "clean Alabama title" that ended up being an "open Alabama title" (my fault for not checking first). In order to get the Title reissued in my name in Tennessee, I had to contact the last seller according to the title (thanks JD for the name of a previous owner) listed on the Title and have him write a letter stating he had no interest in the vehicle and sold it in XXXX year. I took that letter and my title to the local Clerks Office paid their required fees, and a few weeks later got the Tennessee title in the mail.

Hopefully that's clear as muddy water.
This helps for sure! I did a vin search on it and the last time it was titled was in WI with the previous owner, maybe i will take a trip down to the cannon county clerks office! I just want to be able to drive it on the street in Moab, that's it! Lol.

Question, if he did mechanic's lien on it and went that route, would that have any adverse effects on the previous owner to whom it is titled?

No effects on po. I had a bonded title done on a mustang I had. Was pretty easy to do just took a while to get the title back.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

TacomaJD said:
Question, if he did mechanic's lien on it and went that route, would that have any adverse effects on the previous owner to whom it is titled?

Can't imagine it would, it is a civil matter. I still do not understand why the guy cant give you a bill of sale and you go get a new title. :dunno:

Go to a local auto dealership and ask if you can speak to the Title Clerk. Offer her 100 bucks plus whatever fees you may have to get you a title.

Latest posts