• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gm 10 bolt

blackman

alright school me .. working on my uncles camaro and the 10 bolt is leaking from the axle tube to the diff... they were welded and the weds cracked.... those are supposed to just be plug welded correct? nothing seems to be twisted and they plug welds are still look good..... any cons to just cleaning up the junk welds and re welding them? and if they are plug welded only from the factory why would they be leaking out of there.? thanks

The rosette welds are cracking because the tube is "trying" to rotate in the diff. It may have only "moved" .005 but enough to start fracturing the weld and start weeping oil.

The 60 ,in the rear of my buggy, started doing the same thing immediatly after I started wheeling it. I let it go for a while(a year) then I took it to work and scoured out a couple of the offending rosettes with the plasma cutter...(being EXTREMELY carefull to NOT over penetrate through the axle tube) and rewelded with much prejudice. I took a Carbide bur and cleaned out all the carbon and slag out of the fresh hole left by the plasma cutter PRIOR to welding. If you don't do this the porosity will be off the hook and the weld would be a total FAIL.

A couple of the factory rosette welds,that I didn't re-weld are still weeping oil but the tubes haven't moved as far as I can tell/care.

Last edited: