• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM Brakes

patooyee

My brother owns a Tahoe with 164,000 miles on it, still on its original set of pads and rotors. He drives the thing like a bat out of hell.

A good friend of ours owns a Silverado with over 200,000 miles, also still on its original rotors and pads.

I sold a 2004 Duramax a while back with 75,000 miles with its original rotors and pads still on it.

I used to own a 1997 Toyota 4Runner that couldn't go 15,0000 miles without warping the rotors and the pads would be almost gone by the time I had to replace the rotors.

I also owned a 2001 F350 that the pads needed to be replaced about every 25,000 miles. (About normal according to widely held belief.)

So why is it that GM can make brakes that last so long? And are we all duped into believing that pads are wear items when GM obviously knows how to make them last almost indefinitely? Anyone else experience the everlasting GM brakes?

Had a 2000 z71 with 100k on it when I sold it and was on the original pads and dad had one with 145k same thing

I sold my 99 z71 on 38s with 300k on it with the oe pads on rear and some pads i took off of salvage truck on front. they had 198 when i replace them and the take off pads had 38 on them when i installed and turn the oe rotors

Same thing here. Got a 98 Zr2 with 130k that dad bought new and has the oe pads and rotors. Stops on a dime. My 00 Z71 has 173k and is all original too.

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm a GM parts man. People bitch and moan every time I try to talk them into that $150 set of OEM pads and $250 rotors,,,, I can't say I blame them, but what they don't realize is in the end, they end up being equal $ to parts store junk and they wont have to change them every 25k miles... I love parts stores, but you don't screw with them on GM brakes and hard to replace electrical items.

My 2000 silverado had 180 when I changed the original brakes and they still had some life left. However, the parking brake hasn't worked since 100k

muddinmetal said:
For anyone who doesn't know, I'm a GM parts man. People bitch and moan every time I try to talk them into that $150 set of OEM pads and $250 rotors,,,, I can't say I blame them, but what they don't realize is in the end, they end up being equal $ to parts store junk and they wont have to change them every 25k miles... I love parts stores, but you don't screw with them on GM brakes and hard to replace electrical items.

After this thread I wouldn't blink at that price. But I'd probably install them myself. ;)

They're probably half the price somewhere on the internet though.

patooyee said:
They're probably half the price somewhere on the internet though.

They are, and that is probably why I WILL NOT have a job by the end of the year :****:

Bottom line on that though, if someone comes to the counter or calls and isn't a freakin' dickhead, I could save them about $160 off that price

Warped my front rotors on my 06 before 10k miles, and several more pairs of parts store rotors in 145k, replaced the pads around 110k. Got about 20k on Wagner severe duty pads so far, they won't last like the OE. Haven't replaced the rear shoes, but did have to turn the drums once.

I work at a shop in bessemer and we see chevy's with high milage and original brake all the damn time. and the funny thing is, even if you buy GM pads from the dealer, they dont last as long as the originals.. no idea why

wannabe said:
I work at a shop in bessemer and we see chevy's with high milage and original brake all the damn time. and the funny thing is, even if you buy GM pads from the dealer, they dont last as long as the originals.. no idea why

I have put close to 70k on my second set of acdelco pads and it's almost time for new ones again. Not as good as factory but still better than parts store pads. At 250k the rotors are just now showing a little sign of being warped.

02 YUKON WITH 166K ON FACTORY PADS PULLING TRAILER OFTEN IT HAD 4 WHEEL DISC I HAD 95 TAHOE WITH REAR DRUM BRAKES HAD TO REPLACE FRONT EVERY 20K AND KEEP REAR ADJUSTED ALL THE TIME :****:

Latest posts