• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Golden Mountain Park - Closing

Nobody has made an official offer on GMP yet! I made a verbal offer to Jayne and have been working on it for the past 2 months, but it all came to an end yesterday. I wasn't able to make it happen.

Nobody has made an official offer on GMP yet! I made a verbal offer to Jayne and have been working on it for the past 2 months, but it all came to an end yesterday. I wasn't able to make it happen.

I hate to hear that Chuck, I know you put a lot of time and thought into purchasing it. Are you looking anywhere else?

Can you say why it came to an end?

There's several reasons, but it really just boils down to the need of cash up front. The previous owner not wanting to have anything to do with the park after her husband died, did not keep up with any maintenance. All of the buildings need some work. The road leading to the upper section needs work ( a lot of pot holes and drainage issues). Apparently, during the last Dixie run some of the pipes running down along side that road became exposed and someone drove over them breaking a water line, which caused a huge washout. Most of the wooden decks and or walkways around the buildings are starting to fall.

With the up front maintenance, the required ongoing maintenance and having to purchase the land itself doesn't leave very much room for profit as a business. When I put everything on paper it would take almost 20 years just to break even and that may be an exaggeration as GMP has not made a profit in the past 11 to 12 years operating as a park and that's with the owners owning the property lol.

There's several reasons, but it really just boils down to the need of cash up front. The previous owner not wanting to have anything to do with the park after her husband died, did not keep up with any maintenance. All of the buildings need some work. The road leading to the upper section needs work ( a lot of pot holes and drainage issues). Apparently, during the last Dixie run some of the pipes running down along side that road became exposed and someone drove over them breaking a water line, which caused a huge washout. Most of the wooden decks and or walkways around the buildings are starting to fall.

With the up front maintenance, the required ongoing maintenance and having to purchase the land itself doesn't leave very much room for profit as a business. When I put everything on paper it would take almost 20 years just to break even and that may be an exaggeration as GMP has not made a profit in the past 11 to 12 years operating as a park and that's with the owners owning the property lol.

Looks like you came to the same conclusion that I did.

An off-road park needs a lot of low(ish) value land, 1 pavilion for event gathering, 1 small bathroom/shower house (mobile trailer type preferably), 3-4 rustic cabins (skid barn type or FEMA trailers), and a dozen RV hookups. And that's it.

Looks like you came to the same conclusion that I did.

An off-road park needs a lot of low(ish) value land, 1 pavilion for event gathering, 1 small bathroom/shower house (mobile trailer type preferably), 3-4 rustic cabins (skid barn type or FEMA trailers), and a dozen RV hookups. And that's it.

And more land probably wouldn't hurt. This place is only 323 acres with almost 100 of that being clear land basically leaving a little of 200 acres for trails. Don't get me wrong, I think it would one hell of a back yard but, to run a business, not so much.

They may have tried, I don't know. I do know that people/groups would call to try and set up events (except for the last Dixie run) but, the owner would never go for it. She may have denied SFWDA as well.

Yeah if you tried to do anything except rent a pavilion and show up, they'd buck on you. I was told on one occasion that if I did any advertisement (like post on forums/Facbook) to invite people to the park that I would have to rent the park for the "event weekend" and get my own event insurance.

I know other clubs and groups had rides/gatherings that they named (like the Turkey Crawl), but it never worked out for me.

And more land probably wouldn't hurt. This place is only 323 acres with almost 100 of that being clear land basically leaving a little of 200 acres for trails. Don't get me wrong, I think it would one hell of a back yard but, to run a business, not so much.

Maybe someone will buy it for a backyard, and open it to special events...

...GMP has not made a profit in the past 11 to 12 years operating as a park and that's with the owners owning the property lol.

Not because it couldn't have... that was completely because it had almost ZERO management.

As simply a pay-to-play offroad park, yeah there is no way you could turn a profit. Since most of us don't have the kind of coin to warrant researching this type of thing... is there any money in hosting the big race events? Rock bouncer races, SXS races, KOH qualifiers, mud bogs/tractor pulls (repurpose the old circle track), etc.?

9084E485-4359-4F13-82CC-7D37070910F1.jpeg
86C98146-6102-43EC-BF58-786787935DD2.jpeg
8B676A5E-42F4-456C-B265-962E5732FFCD.jpeg
8CC498EF-88ED-4FE9-8C2B-117162E71B04.jpeg

@ $1300 per acre, which is really cheap in that neck of the woods is still $423,800. I was hoping for $375k but as said above, she's not there yet!

@ $1300 per acre, which is really cheap in that neck of the woods is still $423,800. I was hoping for $375k but as said above, she's not there yet!

looks like everyone that has been involved is in general agreement as to what it's worth.

a big gravel parking lot + cut over timber + rocks + crumbling infrastructure that is basically a liability to anyone that wants to operate it...

Latest posts