• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GPS

poolman

What's the best GPS out there now? I've ran 2 tomtoms for 2 years but I'm tired of buying one every year. Thoughts.

My 10 year old garmin slid of the dash of dad's bass boat while I was testing props for him so I bought another garmin.... jus sayin

Google maps on my phone if I'm at work so I can get satellite views of the job I'm heading to or if I'm in my personal vehicle I'll use the Waze app to keep an eye out for cops and other road hazzards.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I can't use my phone when I'm working, I get a call every 5 minutes and I might look up 5-10 addresses a day. Hard to have a conversation when GPS is telling me where to go.

The ole lady bought me a Garmin a few years back when we was racing so much. It was one that was designed for big rigs and kept you from getting caught in tight spots with a bigger trailer. I liked it a lot but my phone and google maps has took over now. I would recommend Garmin for sure with their lifetime maps upgrade.

poolman said:
I can't use my phone when I'm working, I get a call every 5 minutes and I might look up 5-10 addresses a day. Hard to have a conversation when GPS is telling me where to go.

I use(d) a 2nd phone (older BIG screen droid) with no cell service activated. Google maps, and download the map area that I'd be traveling in. I also do this when I'm in Mexico, since I don't have an international data package

Handy, and I also used it for Torque, plus if you are somewhere with free wifi you have an extra internet device.

poolman said:

Same here I run a garmin in all my work and personal vehicles

Yep, anything but tom tom. They are made for Europe and adapted for use here. They suck.

Re: Re: GPS

TBItoy said:
I use(d) a 2nd phone (older BIG screen droid) with no cell service activated. Google maps, and download the map area that I'd be traveling in. I also do this when I'm in Mexico, since I don't have an international data package

Handy, and I also used it for Torque, plus if you are somewhere with free wifi you have an extra internet device.
Wait, google maps will work without cell service? Or are you saying you pair it to your phone's hotspot? I've been looking at gps options for my motorcycle and do not want to use my primary phone, but I have an old Galaxy S5 that works fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dwa2469 said:
I would get a Garmin with lifetime map updates

That's what I'll do unless someone post about something that's better in the next couple days. Apriaciate the input.

poolman said:
That's what I'll do unless someone post about something that's better in the next couple days. Apriaciate the input.

Garmin is probably gonna be the way to go, never heard anything bad about them, I had an old one several years ago that I never updated, but was perfect for what I needed. I will probably buy another one and a motorcycle mount.

TacomaJD said:
Wait, google maps will work without cell service? Or are you saying you pair it to your phone's hotspot? I've been looking at gps options for my motorcycle and do not want to use my primary phone, but I have an old Galaxy S5 that works fine.

Yeah you can download an area of map to work offline.

It'll do navigation and everything. I use it in the woods and when out of the country. Also handy when you're out in the back roads too.

TBItoy said:
Yeah you can download an area of map to work offline.

It'll do navigation and everything. I use it in the woods and when out of the country. Also handy when you're out in the back roads too.

No ****, did not know that. That is cool!

Just seen this popup if you still looking and do the Ebay.

2vwwy2o.png

25f52x1.png

TacomaJD said:

Using your phone map is fine as long as you have service or have the destination set in your phone before you lose service. Yes a phone will fine with a preloaded map, they do have true gps but do not store unused maps. (they download as you go) unless, as I said you have a destination set or preloaded maps. There are apps you can get and download maps.

This is why you need a garmin. Also nothing is more frustraiting than getting a call while using the map.