• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

H1's 8 bolt vs 12 bolt

I believe its more evenly clamping force. Kinda like a standard beadlock with 12 bolts vs lets say 24.

Are you talking about the military wheels?

One is for Bias ply the other is for Radials.

I do not know what happens when you mix them, but according to Army HMMWV technical manual this is the case. We were never allowed to mix.

I believe its more evenly clamping force. Kinda like a standard beadlock with 12 bolts vs lets say 24.

That's what I would think but does it really matter. How many failures are happening with the 8 bolt wheels?

Are you talking about the military wheels?

One is for Bias ply the other is for Radials.

I do not know what happens when you mix them, but according to Army HMMWV technical manual this is the case. We were never allowed to mix.

Yep Military Hummer beadlocks. I want to goto these eventually for the double beadlock idea. I can find 8 bolts for $40 each.. But trying to see what the disadvantages are.

I have run across four versions.

1 the 8 bolt bias

2 the 12 bolt radial 1st version with small/thin O-ring and a "edge" for it to sit in.

3 the 12 bolt radial 2nd version with a large/thick O-ring that has a nice flared lip to sit in/on.

4 the 24 bolt version for radials, but have not seen one without damage.

also goodyear lost the hummer contract to BFG.:cheer: 37 bfg hummer tires:;

I think the down side is the 16.5 wheels if I remeber correctly. Or are they a differnt size then that?

That's what I would think but does it really matter. How many failures are happening with the 8 bolt wheels?

the military went to the 12 bolt version cuz the radials werent as tough as the bias tires were so they had to beef up the wheel to keep it clamped/tight.

the second version of the 12 bolt rims has more meat in the middle too and a different oring and pattern stamping. It helps keep them from coning in and cracking around the 12 studs.

I think the down side is the 16.5 wheels if I remeber correctly. Or are they a differnt size then that?

we are a little past that point, but thanks:beer:

So if I coudl find some 12 bolts cheap that would be the way to go. I plan on recentering them anyways and adding a rim stiffner.

I didnt have any issue with my 8 bolt ones and if you are recentering them anyway the only differences is the more bolts. There is a guy on pirate 406 YJ I belive that sells them recentered but he did a big ass write up on the differences between the two.:awesomework:

Aren't the 12 bolt versions heavier? If so, then that extra steel has to be somewhere.

I know that the 8 bolt version also has a lower maximum inflation pressure (30 psi of the top of my head). I would suspect that this has something to do with the force exerted on the studs. Since we always want to air them down, that's not a big issue for us.

Aren't the 12 bolt versions heavier? If so, then that extra steel has to be somewhere.

I know that the 8 bolt version also has a lower maximum inflation pressure (30 psi of the top of my head). I would suspect that this has something to do with the force exerted on the studs. Since we always want to air them down, that's not a big issue for us.

I haven't ran over 12psi for years. :redneck:

is it a must to get them recenterd if you ran the on a 60 or do they sick in to far or what?

It's not necessary. It's a matter of choice for what back spacing you want. For me. I need them with about 3.5-4" back spacing. Otherwise I rub on the frame.

It's not necessary. It's a matter of choice for what back spacing you want. For me. I need them with about 3.5-4" back spacing. Otherwise I rub on the frame.

thanks how much does it ussaully run to get them recentered?

thanks how much does it ussaully run to get them recentered?

You can get the wheels recentered, new o rings, studs and valvestems for $250 a wheel from 406yj on PBB.

The centers are pretty cheap by themselves and if you only need 3 1/2" backspace you can get pressed centers that slide right in there and stop at that backspace that will run true. :D

I am in mine about 750 for 4 8 bolts, ,recentered , ,and ,with rock rings. I have also ran 12 bolts not recentered. The 12 bolts are heavier, the 8 bolts work just fine and are usually cheaper to buy. With the 8 bolts, and the pressed centers, I am at just over 3" of back spacing w/ the centers set all the way down onto the inner lip of the factory wheel.