• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hanging the t case vs. Supporting it

Metchosin joe

After breaking my 4th bellhousing it's time to fix my issue.

Setup is a 5.3 sm465, black box, 205
I've had leaf spring bushings at the frame for motor, trans and tcase.
I think the motors twisting a bit but the trans and case are not budging.

So I think I'd like to hang the t case and trans from the trans tunnel.
Who's had good luck doing it this way? And where did you mount the bushings, did you support both trans and case?

I've seen a few cracked cases/tailhousings from the bolts being loose. Mine was one of them. Are you sure they are/were tight first ?

Hanging or supporting your case shouldn't make any difference in terms of efforts as long as they are done correctly. But if you hit the ground with your crossmember, it's gonna put a lot of pressure on your cases if they are mounted on it.. Hence why I like hanging better.

slravenel said:
do you have any pictures of how its currently set up? And what its in?

100% pics needed to be able to make suggestions. Always more than one way to do things. Everything is situational.

Bebop said:
Hanging or supporting your case shouldn't make any difference in terms of efforts as long as they are done correctly. But if you hit the ground with your crossmember, it's gonna put a lot of pressure on your cases if they are mounted on it.. Hence why I like hanging better.

If you did it correctly...your crossmember shouldn't ever be able to hit anything though :dunno: If you mount your drivetrain to a tube that is on the skid face and dont give it full blown chassis support, you didnt do it right.

Its virtually impossible to say hang vs support without seeing his setup and what hes working with. There are pros and cons to both setups...but definitely right that as long as they are done correctly, they will both work. Sometimes you just cant do either/or of them correctly with a certain setup.

I don't have any good pics of my setup. It's in a Toyota truggy...I'm not really looking for answers to why I'm breaking it just examples of hanging mounts or if some one mixed it up. Say hung the case but supported the trans
Has any one noticed any movement in a hung setup?

thats kinda what we are getting at though, we are trying to help you determine the best way to do it. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes is all it takes!

To answer your question in the last post though... i have built them in all combos of ways.

My current buggy is hung at the trans and supported at the back of the tcase - no issues
The last buggy I built was supported at the tcase and supported at the trans - no issues
The buggy before that was hung at the trans and hung at the tcase - no issues

You can really do any combo of things as long as its done right for the setup you have. In my current buggy I could not have supported the trans from underneath properly...so it would have been done wrong and probably would have had some issues. Sometimes you have to get creative and mount it from a way that isnt conventional - the key factor in it all is that its protected from hits, mounted with similar materials, and that you've eliminated twist (like you mention in your original post)

I do it that way. There's some pics in my build threads. I really like Behemoth Drivetrains mounting ring around the adapter.

Ok so here's my plan
Run 1 of the universal trans mounts between the black box and 205

And basically this on the back of the 205

And nothing under the factory sm465 mount.. it hangs too low to fit a mount under it in my setup

Does any one see an issue with not supporting the trans?

I figured out the issue. It was a bad motor mount
Either way I'm changing the setup to the tripod mount, like factory. So if another motor mount gets soft it won't torque and crack the bell housing
I'vd put a Lakewood bellhousing in as well but I don't want to move the problem.

I hung mine. Atlas mount will be on top also.

bd0b6f107686462b53604658202bcdef.jpg

ceab4e57efced558398e4a3fde9db733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts