• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harnesses

Weezul

I currently have ProArmor 4 point harnesses. For those not familiar with them, the shoulder belts are attached to the lap belt. I've been thinking of going to harnesses where the shoulder belts are separate from the lap belt.

What is everyone running?

I currently have ProArmor 4 point harnesses. For those not familiar with them, the shoulder belts are attached to the lap belt. I've been thinking of going to harnesses where the shoulder belts are separate from the lap belt.

What is everyone running?
I have PRP 5.3×2 harnesses. They are 5 point harnesses. The shoulder belts are 2" wide with sewn in pads that are 3" wide. The lap belts are 3" wide and the sub belts are 2" wide. I very seldom use the sub belt and will occasionally ride the access trails with just the lap belts on. We always ride with belts and always wear shoulders when riding anything other than access roads. Most of the time when the shoulders go on, they stay on. The wife and I really like them and can spend all day in them with no complaints. The 3" pads in the shoulders aren't too wide that they rub your neck and have plenty of padding to stay comfortable. Having the ability to only use the laps makes them nice when you don't feel the shoulders are needed. The laps being 3" wide keep you very planted in the seat without putting too much pressure over a small area of your hips. She is a strong D cup and used to complain about the previous belts we had but never complains about the PRP's. She says they fit just right.flashemifyougotem

Last edited:
PRP 5.3 here. Seems comfy for the little seat time I have.
AB111A3D-F82E-4D82-87F7-70B2A5B98B5C.jpeg

I run 3" RCI, only because I get them for free from my uncle that drag races, but the padded shoulders look nice and I bet my wife would love them as well.

Are you wanting something comfortable ,or something to hold you securely? If you want to be held securely the Crow ratchet belts can not be beat.You can run only a lap belt,the the shoulder harness are no ways near a comfy as the PRP'S

I have PRP 5.3×2 harnesses. They are 5 point harnesses. The shoulder belts are 2" wide with sewn in pads that are 3" wide. The lap belts are 3" wide and the sub belts are 2" wide. I very seldom use the sub belt and will occasionally ride the access trails with just the lap belts on. We always ride with belts and always wear shoulders when riding anything other than access roads. Most of the time when the shoulders go on, they stay on. The wife and I really like them and can spend all day in them with no complaints. The 3" pads in the shoulders aren't too wide that they rub your neck and have plenty of padding to stay comfortable. Having the ability to only use the laps makes them nice when you don't feel the shoulders are needed. The laps being 3" wide keep you very planted in the seat without putting too much pressure over a small area of your hips. She is a strong D cup and used to complain about the previous belts we had but never complains about the PRP's. She says they fit just right.flashemifyougotem

Shoulders are useless without the sub belt. I run the 3" padded prp's but wish i had gotten the 2". The 3" rub my neck and it gets uncomfortable if i have them on a lot.

I will note I put provisions in my cage to keep the 3 point harnesses. Granted mine is dual purpose.

Shoulders are useless without the sub belt. I run the 3" padded prp's but wish i had gotten the 2". The 3" rub my neck and it gets uncomfortable if i have them on a lot.
I disagree. With our lap belts on and pulled down tight, we have zero issue with the laps riding up due to the shoulders pulling them up. We have been in a rollover and didn't have any issues with the belts coming loose or riding up. We were actually very comfortable once the truck stopped rolling and we were suspended upside down. Most if not all 4 point belts such as the OP has don't even offer sub belts. Those belts can't even have the shoulders removed from the lap belts. I am not saying the subs are useless but in most of my low speed situations they shouldn't be needed. Should we wear them to keep us from sliding out of the bottom of the belts incase of a long continuous end over end, probably.

I disagree. With our lap belts on and pulled down tight, we have zero issue with the laps riding up due to the shoulders pulling them up. We have been in a rollover and didn't have any issues with the belts coming loose or riding up. We were actually very comfortable once the truck stopped rolling and we were suspended upside down. Most if not all 4 point belts such as the OP has don't even offer sub belts. Those belts can't even have the shoulders removed from the lap belts. I am not saying the subs are useless but in most of my low speed situations they shouldn't be needed. Should we wear them to keep us from sliding out of the bottom of the belts incase of a long continuous end over end, probably.

I agree. Honestly most people don't use their belts correctly. Always do laps first as tight as possible while wiggling, then shoulders. If using a sub strap, it really need to be person specific. While the sub does help keep the harnesses from going up, their priority is to keep you from slipping out of the bottom. I always look at the clasps and adjusting mechanisms because cheap ones are prone to sticking or being hard to use in which case they typically end up being not used correctly. Seat belts are not one size fits all and the installation and routing is as important as anything.

I like PRP as a good budget friendly option. I have used cheaper ones as well such as Simpson with no pads. If I had to buy some today, it would likely be Mastercraft with a ratchet on the lap belt but they are upwards of $250 per seat. I am also much more race oriented and safety conscious than your average leaf looker or trail rider.

Last edited:
PRP here, actually was cheap skate and bought one for my side, then after she drove and used them, she wanted the old Corbeau ones on pass side replaced.... now both sets are PRP.
We only run the one with shoulders and hip belts, no need for crotch clip... ain't got that much wee pow!

Pro armor 3" padded. I like them. Should have done a 2" for the passenger seat. They rub my wife's neck. She hates them.

Lap belts & sub should hold you down in the seat. Shoulder harness should hold you back into the seat. If the shoulder harnesses are holding you down in your seat and you have a serious roll, you will likely hurt your back.

I run the PRP 5.3 and love them.

As @extremetownie said, the ratcheting lap belts are amazing.

I run G Force 3" five point harness. dont always use the anti submarine belt. They are ok on comfort but need to be broken in as they are stiff when you first get them.

Going with the PRP 5.3. How are people mounting the sub belt in a TJ? My Corbeaus are mounted on factory brackets now. Eventually a custom cage with seat mounts will go in. May just have to leave the sub belt out for now.

When you get it, they will come with SFI instruction on how all the belts should be routed or they are probably found online as well. Again most people don't technically get it 100% correct and that depends on your personal preference for safety and how far you are willing to risk it. I'd make/build a bracket personally, but usually there is something down there that will work for wrap around or a bolt on tab.

Going with the PRP 5.3. How are people mounting the sub belt in a TJ? My Corbeaus are mounted on factory brackets now. Eventually a custom cage with seat mounts will go in. May just have to leave the sub belt out for now.
I don't have them in a TJ but.. I imagine a couple of longer bolts and spacers to use in place of the front 2 seat mount bolts. Then a section of tubing welded to the spacers. Then wrap the sub belt around the tube.

Latest posts