• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hello from Colorado.

proffett

I'm building a mild (for now) crawler for my daughter. She has Friedreich's Ataxia which is a form of Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to a scooter. She was recently bitten by the off-road bug during an event at a local state park where she got to ride the trails in an Action Trackchair.
So now my '52 M38A1 rebuild is going to turn into a bright yellow custom trail machine. Which is fine by me, because a lot of parts for this type of build can be easier and cheaper to source than original military parts, and I'm not compelled to stay faithful to the original specs.

For now the drive train will stay stock, but I'm going to swap a V6 (225 or 4.3) into it eventually. The little F134 Hurricane is a great motor for what it is, but it's only about 70 hp.

Currently the main projects, beyond getting it on the road, will be converting (or replacing) the current roll bar to a full cage and putting some decent suspension seats with harnesses in it. This will be a necessity for my daughter to be able to ride in it safely and comfortably. And yellow paint, of course! It's already been converted to 12 volts, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Looking forward to getting some tech tips and inspiration from this group.

Here she is in the trackchair with her mom and grandpa:
IMG_1914 (1).jpeg

Here's the M38A1:
241765664_230845805535735_4480316155117973903_n.jpg

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to HLC!
That looks like an awesome project with an even better cause. Can't wait to see what you can handle out there.

proffett

Welcome to HLC!
That looks like an awesome project with an even better cause. Can't wait to see what you can handle out there.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to this project... I originally wanted the Willys for a somewhat original restoration project, but when this new situation came up, it was a no brainer.