• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How hard are stickies going to be on my junk?

heepsterjeepster

So I'm pondering getting a new set of tires for my rig and am seriously considering a set of stickies. I am concerned about breakage, and don't want to be "that guy" on the trail every time we go. Seems like a lot of you guys are running them , even though we probably wheel different types of rigs I would like to hear from the pros. I am currently running a set of 43x14.5x16.5 SX's on trailworthy fab H1's. I am a super easy throttle guy, who only uses the skinny pedal when absolutely necessary.

I am planning on a full case locker for the front and ordering a complete set of chromo front shafts, keeping my current front axles for trail spares.

My current rig specs out like this:

1997 TJ on Tons
4.0L
AW4 Tranny
Atlas II

Kp HP 60 with 5:38's
Spartan Lunchbox Locker
Stock inners
35spline chromo outers
EOR Drive slugs
Spicer Chromo joints

14BFF
5:38's
Stock Axles
Welded Carrier

Any help/experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Upgrade the Spartan and inners on the front. Rear should be fine.

Drive stupid and all will go to hell, no matter how you drive. Seems like you are sensible, might keep you from using the skinny pedal as often and keep you from breaking parts.

Lightbndr on here runs a 4.0 and tons with stock shafts (IIRC) and sounds like he is like you - very technical and easy on the skinny. He runs BFG reds and I don't think he has broken a stock shaft and runs a ball joint 60 in front and 14 bolt in rear.
I would say what you are planning to do will be ok. I've seen other guys beat the living tar outta rigs with stickies and not seen em break...and I've seen non stickies break stuff all the time... I think its partially luck of the draw and partially repeat abuse. If you are going to worry all the time or significantly change your style (which it doesn't sound like) then you might want to reconsider. From what you put on your original post I say DO IT and have fun!!

^^^^^^^^ Exactly.. By reading your post sounds like your gonna be fine. Your gonna see that with stickies in all honesty you won`t have to beat your rig as hard. I love my 43`s and will run nothing else ever on a trail rig.. That being said When you buy the Chromo`s make sure to check out ECGS. They really stand behind them!! AND do AWAY with the spicer joints. The stickies are gonna kill them. I just went to Super Joints due to breaking both sides with spicers. They just won`t hold up. For trail spares there fine but, for your new shafts spend the money once and upgrade those joints.

truckbroke said:
^^^^^^^^ Exactly.. By reading your post sounds like your gonna be fine. Your gonna see that with stickies in all honesty you won`t have to beat your rig as hard. I love my 43`s and will run nothing else ever on a trail rig.. That being said When you buy the Chromo`s make sure to check out ECGS. They really stand behind them!! AND do AWAY with the spicer joints. The stickies are gonna kill them. I just went to Super Joints due to breaking both sides with spicers. They just won`t hold up. For trail spares there fine but, for your new shafts spend the money once and upgrade those joints.

Exactly, I'm running super joints and Yukon full shafts, you can wheel easy with spicers but under much load they will break, then ruin your shaft,or shafts

I think some people can break anything, and if you pay attention you'll be just fine. I ran 37" krawlers on my Zuk buggy for about a year. At that time it was a 1.3L/5speed/6.5:1/Scout 44s/spools and 5.38s. I never broke anything other than a shifter bushing in that year. I have since switched to 39s with an SC3800/AW4/stock dana 300/60 front semifloat Fab9 rear/spools and 6.20s. I've beat on them for 1.5 years with bone stock shafts, Spicer joints, welded lockouts, and Zuk u joint drive shafts. I've had only one breakage and it was when I bound up the front enough to roll it and broke the welded lock out. It weighed 2928 before the motor swap and had 28 RWHP, it is now 3416 with way more power.

Notice the 39 is bound so hard it's hidden

Guys, Nick drives like my grandma :driving: . He looks like a bobble head on the trail, always looking at every line and m,akes me lead so he can see all the good lines...

I ran 39 reds w 35 spline outers and stock knees for a few years w zero problems, then ran those tires on toy axles for years w zero problems. Drive like you don't want to break and you'll be fine. Drive like a dumbass, and you'll break ****.

canepari said:
Guys, Nick drives like my grandma :driving: . He looks like a bobble head on the trail, always looking at every line and m,akes me lead so he can see all the good lines...

You call it driving like a grandma.....I call it driving with finesse thumb.gif Its not like I could get in front of you on the trail anyway, your like George Castanza pushing old ladies down to escape a fire ;D Seriously I am not a throttle guy at all and don't plan on changing my methods. I'm generally pretty easy on my rig and likewise rarely break parts.

I have already sold my Spartan and plan on ordering a Yukon Grizzly asap.

you'll be fine. I've been running Yukons and superjoints with 43" stickies in my buggy. motor is a fairly warm 6.0. no issues at all. switched to rcv's and then blew up the lockright :rolf:

put in a spool and hopefully never look back.

I'm a methodical driver as well. tend to pick my line, but not afraid to use the skinny pedal if needed

heepsterjeepster said:
Currently a set of 8 bolts.

10-4. Be sure the bead thickness is the same from your current tires to the stickies. If there is a difference you will need to adjust the PVC's. :)

How close do they have to be to each other to be OK. Is there usually a difference in the thickness of beads from sticky to non sticky compound of the same tire?

heepsterjeepster said:
How close do they have to be to each other to be OK. Is there usually a difference in the thickness of beads from sticky to non sticky compound of the same tire?

It isn't a difference between sticky and non sticky. It is the difference in age between your current SX tires and new stickies. At some point the bead thickness changed. So it is best to be sure before you piece them together. If you get the stickies be sure to measure and see what's up. If you have questions on it call me and we'll talk about it. :)

Re: Re: How hard are stickies going to be on my junk?

Dookey said:
It isn't a difference between sticky and non sticky. It is the difference in age between your current SX tires and new stickies. At some point the bead thickness changed. So it is best to be sure before you piece them together. If you get the stickies be sure to measure and see what's up. If you have questions on it call me and we'll talk about it. :)
This makes sense now, I have an older set of tsl on my 12 bolts and caught hell putting them on with your pvc,s

Dookey said:

Cool, thanks I wouldn't have thought of that.

Re: Re: How hard are stickies going to be on my junk?

hjpcummins said:
This makes sense now, I have an older set of tsl on my 12 bolts and caught hell putting them on with your pvc,s

Are they on there and working well for you? What part of "catching hell" are you talking about?

^^^agree with everybody else just gotta run super joints or comparable - stickies gone break spicers the first time you have to mash that skinny pedal!

Latest posts