• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How hot is too hot ?

Jon Piper

I once had to recover the samurai at hpo with the excursion and trailer and the temp hit 220 since then I watch it religiously. With the 2015 f250 wheels and tires when weather is warm I'd see 220ish after hitting the big hill heading to hpo... today was a nice day high 60's and i saw 230 on the gauge. On the way home it was in the 180's , but it's a lot more down hill and the outside temps had dropped.

I'm going with a larger cooler soon and I'm hoping this solves the issue but what temps should I consider "normal" ? The excursion is a 7.3 pulling a 3000 lb samurai with a somewhat heavy car hauler.

Re:

6.0 Denali from 2004 hits 220 at the second shift outta town. Never hits sub 200 towing ever. My 7.3 never checked. Could be burnt the **** up and would never know.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

If you go by dealer books most say 280 is the point trans fluid completely breaks down. I've let mine stay around 260 for long periods of time but don't let it get any higher than that. The location of the temp sensor can play a roll in it also. Is it before or after the cooler?

I put a 31 row 6.0 cooler on my old f250 and it made a huge difference.

I was talking to Clint Carter bout that yesterday and he swore up and down the the 6.0 cooler was the fix..... said it bolted up like a stocker.

BUG-E J said:
If you go by dealer books most say 280 is the point trans fluid completely breaks down. I've let mine stay around 260 for long periods of time but don't let it get any higher than that. The location of the temp sensor can play a roll in it also. Is it before or after the cooler?

I'll have to check in a little while and see the location.

rednecklights said:
I was talking to Clint Carter bout that yesterday and he swore up and down the the 6.0 cooler was the fix..... said it bolted up like a stocker.

I'll have to check in a little while and see the location.

Temp sensor is on the trans itself.

ibrokeit said:
Temp sensor is on the trans itself.
You should be good then. Those sensors in the pan kinda scare me. Thats the temp of the fluid the trans is about to pick up and put heat into.

BUG-E J said:
You should be good then. Those sensors in the pan kinda scare me. Thats the temp of the fluid the trans is about to pick up and put heat into.

Which is fine, as long as you take the difference into account. On helicopters, we have temp sensors and temp bulbs for the same gearbox. They both have limits but are obviously different.

Latest posts