• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How many is to many?

jeeptj99

Been looking for another truck for work that's not a diesel and is at least an extended cab. Here's my question, how many miles it too many? I see a ton of Chevy 1500 with 200k+ miles on them and I guess it's from my dad but if it's got more than 100k you don't want it. How do you determine if the truck has too many miles? My Dodge has 361K on it but it's a diesel, I was really apprehensive when I bought it and it had only had 320K on it.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY MILES.

It is all about maintenance and how well everything works together. Plus at some point everything but the frame and cab is new anyways

I've learned that miles don't matter if it was took care of.I've got a 2000 hmm 1500 for sale now and it has 213000 miles.my last truck had 345000 when I sold it and both trucks are 5.3ls

That's the million dollar question. AN LS will go a loooong time if taken care of and maybe even not taken care of. Your likely to have trans issues first or it need front IFS work if 4x4. It really all depends on who's owned it and if they care about their ****. Good luck.

As others have stated, it is all about how the vehicle was maintained and driven. I have seen some vehicles that are 15 to 18 years plus in age and are immaculate and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. I have also seen some that are only a few years old and I wouldn't want to drive them to the store three miles away. If you are buying one used, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for maint. records or to crawl under it and get all in the engine compartment to check it out.

I'd buy a chevy gasser with 200K. Seems that 20-30k miles a year on a vehicles is pretty common these days.

overall condition (and price) is more important to me. Just plan that you might need $2k for an engine or trans.
It's a lot easier to justify putting a new engine or trans in a truck that you really like and is in overall good shape.

Also consider that you could put a reman engine & trans in a gasser (think 6.0/4L80) in an old 2500 Chevy for what a turbo and a set of injectors for a diesel would cost.

I intend to buy a mid-2000s 3/4t Suburban (unless I can find a CC truck for a decent price).

I've been looking around and have seen some really slick HIGH mileage (300K+) 6.0 trucks, and also some ragged ass out rusted out ones with 150K.

You looking at 1/2 tons? or bigger?

1/2 ton, I have the dodge to pull the jeep and farm equipment when I need it. Mostly looking for something semi nice to dd and MAYBE pull a trailer here and there. Plus I literally had a chick laugh at my dodge when I went and picked her up one night for a date. That was also our last date.

Once any of them get over 200,000 the little things start to nickel and dime you to death. water pumps, gasket leaks, rear main, calipers lock up, electrical gremlins.
I had a GMC Yukon XL 2500 that had 265,000 on it when I sold it, always meticulously maintained since I used it for work. Up to that point I'd joke that I needed to go to Autozone to make a payment on the Yukon.

Bought a 97f250 cc 4wd 7.3 304k with a known engine issue. I got a used engine cheap and had it installed. Drove 6 months and started dropping money like I had an unlimited supply. After a yeear and a half dropping about $6000 for truck and everything else I was tired of throwing money at an ongoing broke truck issue. Found a sucker with a rough around the edges 2000 2500 ext cab 4wd 6.0 278k. Put $5-600 in ifs front and run the crap out of it. Been driving it about a year and smile knowing im putting money in my pocket not have that noisey rattling 7.3 wanting another $100-$500 for something.

2000 2500 4x4 6.0 4l80e 288k
2002 suburban 5.3 204k
2002 trailblazer 4x4 4.2 261k
1976 chevy p/u 350 350 1xxk
1997 tj 4.0 automatic 145k

The miles dont hurt them if they are maintained.

I hate the saying but.... 200,000 miles is the new 100,000.
If your talking 2002 and above, 2500 - 3500, gas, Chevys ( Not sure about other brands, but I'm it's probably the same ) Of coarse, this all depends on maintenance and how hard those miles were driven.
Diesel motor last loner but the trans and axles only last so long.

yankster said:
Once any of them get over 200,000 the little things start to nickel and dime you to death. water pumps, gasket leaks, rear main, calipers lock up, electrical gremlins.
I had a GMC Yukon XL 2500 that had 265,000 on it when I sold it, always meticulously maintained since I used it for work. Up to that point I'd joke that I needed to go to Autozone to make a payment on the Yukon.

I've found the best way to get over the heartburn of "fixing" stuff on old vehicles (that you plan to keep) is to just replace everything in the system. Like if you know you need inner tie rod ends, and are gonna get an alignment anyway, just drop another couple hundred and put all new steering parts on it. It sucks at the time, but if you actually buy good parts and not the cheapest **** available then you'll never have to mess with it again. Plus saves time.

Re: How many is to many?

When I was looking for one last year, I did Autotrader and Craigslist searches trying to find one with around 100k miles. They are out there and that is considered low miles on earlier ones like mine (2005 model). I just so happened to find my truck in my hometown and from a guy I knew from school that was a couple years younger than me. But I was prepared to drive several hours if I had to in order to secure the perfect truck for me. My truck had 110k miles on it when I bought it. Runs and drives like a brand new one, clean as a whistle inside and out (after I got those rusty cab corners fixed haha). I say anything under 150k miles that you can check out and its in good shape and drives tight, visibly inspected for oil leaks and such, should be a good investment. And these trucks hold their value damn near as well as a Toyota Tacoma nowadays. If you look at an extended cab, be sure and check the lower cab corners and rockers for rust. It starts from the inside out. Not sure exactly where the water gets in, but it gets in and gets to the bottom with no way to drain. I think the 3rd brake light gasket failing is one culprit. Some have it, some don't. Doesn't have to be a truck that came from up north. There is not a stitch of rust under my truck, but you could poke your finger through the bottom of the cab corners in a couple small spots.

Plug - I'm gonna keep my truck for a good long while. :flipoff1:

653b884da01f722e5fd64d5afc19dfce.jpg

1 owner, leather, Bose, loaded with everything, crew cab, 4wd, only 126k miles for $13k. Not that hard to find these. If you are wanting to stay under $10k, you will be looking at trucks with 150k or more, and there will be fewer crew cabs in that selection pool also.

https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevrolet-silverado-2004-z71/6253572153.html

Damn, Im gonna have to book a flight and come south when I buy my next one. Seeing not one but two Chevys with solid rockers is a sight.

What about on dodge 1/2 tons? would like to stay away from the ford 5.4 for the spark plug spitting reason. I'll probably end up with a Chevy though. LS motors seem to be more reliable than any other 1/2 ton motor. I'm just spit balling stuff here. I have been watching craigslist but got curious about the higher mileage stuff because theres a ton of 250k plus trucks on there.

jeeptj99 said:
What about on dodge 1/2 tons? would like to stay away from the ford 5.4 for the spark plug spitting reason. I'll probably end up with a Chevy though. LS motors seem to be more reliable than any other 1/2 ton motor. I'm just spit balling stuff here. I have been watching craigslist but got curious about the higher mileage stuff because theres a ton of 250k plus trucks on there.

Ha

I just realized that in the last 10 years or so, only 1 person that I know has owned a 1/2 ton Dodge

This looks like an ok deal for a beat around truck https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-dodge-ram-4x4-47l/6306862417.html

scrambled said:
Damn, Im gonna have to book a flight and come south when I buy my next one. Seeing not one but two Chevys with solid rockers is a sight.

I've bought the last few work trucks/vans out of Texas. Everyone there drives a truck, prices are better and zero rust. Jump on Craigslist and look.

Example 98 e350 van 63,000 miles 7.3 auto $7,600

2011 Chevy 3500 ton single wheel 4 door 6.0 167,000 miles $12,500

Neither had dents, the van didn't have a hitch on the back and the truck didn't have a goose neck hitch either. You have to look a while but they will show up.

TBItoy said:
Ha

I just realized that in the last 10 years or so, only 1 person that I know has owned a 1/2 ton Dodge

This looks like an ok deal for a beat around truck https://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2007-dodge-ram-4x4-47l/6306862417.html

I have only known one, and he inherited it from his grand dad. 2001 truck with like 40 something k on it. Garage kept it was show room clean.

Re: Re: How many is to many?

jeeptj99 said:
I'd rather get a tramp stamp tattoo on my lower back than drive a half ton dodge. Chebby/GMC or nothin' in the half ton department.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk