• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How old is too old?

grcthird

Birmingham, AL
So, I'm sitting here eating Saturday's leftovers for lunch on Thursday. Wife says throw it out, I'm over here like, "No, it's still good and I hate throwing food away." Really, how old does cooked food have to be before it is considered trash worthy?

And you thought this thread was going to be about cougars. molaugh

grcthird said:
So, I'm sitting here eating Saturday's leftovers for lunch on Thursday. Wife says throw it out, I'm over here like, "No, it's still good and I hate throwing food away." Really, how old does cooked food have to be before it is considered trash worthy?

And you thought this thread was going to be about cougars. molaugh

How old is too old goes back to how good it was when it was cooked. Some things get better with age, some get thrown out. Stew for me could be eaten for a week. Casserole of any kind gets chunked on day two.

I HATE wasting food since it feels just liking grabbing bills out of my wallet and throwing them in the trash can. I usually go by the one week rule. If it is older than one week, it gets thrown out. Any less than one week and I will eat it. I have not gotten food poisoning yet following that rule.

I go by the look and smell rule, goes the same with women too, but i cook a big meal on saturday night alot and package it up in containers and eat it all week long but yeah 5-7 days and id pitch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as all ^^^

I usually eat on stuff for 3 or 4 days, if I have leftovers, they rarely sit around longer than that. I like to eat....especially when it's already paid for and cooked. Everytime I cook anything, I always cook a shitload extra so I have a few meals to bring to work the following week.

I had a guy that worked for me that would bring a huge plate of food, put it on the shelf in our break room Monday and eat on it all week. He would not refrigerate it of anything, just come in take a few bites and go back to work. It didn't matter what it was either, meat, vegetables, cold cuts, it was on the shelf all week! In his case the 5th of Old crow he drank nightly probably killed any bacteria. I will go 4-6 days depending what it is.

I'm pretty much spot on then, I give stuff a week, she's wanting to pitch it after 3 days sometimes. Shoot I'll even drink milk a day or two past the expiration date if it doesn't smell funky. I made a sammich the other night and realized the mayo was like 3 months over the date, tasted fine to me. I even like to put bread in the fridge so it keeps longer, we can't eat an entire loaf before the toss date if it sits in the pantry.

I'm a single man living alone. You can bet your ass if I'm cooking I'm fixing enough to last a week. If it doesn't have fuzz growing on I'll eat it. Hell, I've eaten can goods that were 2+ years out of date. Lol

Something in my mind grosses me out if there's any doubt what so ever ... It's kinda like a hair in my food. I could be Fukin starving, see a hair and all the sudden I'm not hungry at all. Get a bite and have a hair in it and by gawd ya better watch out... Some **** last longer. But most gets weird and kinda dried up way before it molds and I ain't eatin it when it gets like that. No Bueno

hokie_yj said:
I'm a single man living alone. You can bet your ass if I'm cooking I'm fixing enough to last a week. If it doesn't have fuzz growing on I'll eat it. Hell, I've eaten can goods that were 2+ years out of date. Lol

Same here, my grandpa used to say, " we'll make another pot of beans when thisun gets ate up." :eat: I aint cooking if I got leftovers in the fridge.

kushKrawlin said:
Something in my mind grosses me out if there's any doubt what so ever ... It's kinda like a hair in my food. I could be Fukin starving, see a hair and all the sudden I'm not hungry at all. Get a bite and have a hair in it and by gawd ya better watch out... Some **** last longer. But most gets weird and kinda dried up way before it molds and I ain't eatin it when it gets like that. No Bueno

Dude, none of that **** bothers me... If we knew where our food has been before we put it in our mouths we'd all starve

This. And "expiration dates" are a marketing ploy to get people to throw out good food, etc. and buy more. The date on milk is a "sell by date", it should be good for a week after the sell by date.

muddinmetal said:
If we knew where our food has been before we put it in our mouths we'd all starve

This^^

I worked in a restaurant for a few years part time

and for those of you who haven't seen it, watch the movie "Waiting"......."never mess with the people who serve your food" , quote from the movie minus the expletives lol