• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how wide is too wide

ovrez1

how wide is too wide, outside tire to tire measurement to run the narrowest trails at reiter. not worried about any body damage as there isn't one
thanks ovrez

kind of a broad question, and its like this is a reiter only rig or something? how tall is the truck? how much lift? bellypan height? you would not want to run narrow axles on a tall truck. i cant remeber any lines that you cant "coax" fullwidths through. just ask kelly.

Well here is the narrowest part on Sac-Up, that photo is of Robins rig which I believe is ~83" wide, someone chime in if hes even wider. But BYS just gets narrower, I've heard you have to do some creative driving/winching to get a rig that wide through there.

Last edited:
(Kelly on amanda's computer)

There's no real "good" answer to this question....My rig is pretty wide, and I wouldn't trade that for the world when it comes to stability, but I couldn't follow MJK's stock axled CJ5 thru the tight stuff, just simply because where he fit thru, my tires hit BOTH trees....Not saying I couldn't have "fit" like Robin, but I got a full bodied ZJ, so I gotta have some respect....after all, every piece of my body is part of my frame :flipoff:

-Kelly (again, NOT Amanda :D )

ovrez said:
how wide is too wide, outside tire to tire measurement to run the narrowest trails at reiter. not worried about any body damage as there isn't one
thanks ovrez

I think most folks argue the same question, using Wheel Mounting Surface to WMS.... And I happen to like 62 inches. That's wide enough to allow a lot of turning with 37s before they hit the frame rails, but narrow enough that the tires kinda fit inside the wheel wells (for street-ability) For what it's worth, 62 inches is around Scout 44 width, or Narrow-track full size Wagoneer.

Kind of a ridiculous question.

It has nothing to do with overall width but your driving ability in order to negotiate obstacles with what you have.

FYI...SOL & BYS have the tightest spots...full width axles will have some major challenges.

Your going to find narrow is better for the sloppy areas where width is good for the dry areas...

I have never had a problem running thru any trail in Washington at 81 inches. Been thru Evans,Elbe,Rimrock,Tahuya,Reiter,etc. Sure once in a while I would rub tires but completely doeable. FYI The Sausage Robin drives is in the mid 90s, and in Super sausage(Reversed Rims) he is 108 if I remember right. Only one trail at Rimrock got him. Driver plays a big role if you are wide. Personally I like my current setup at 79 inches to outer tire.:clappy:

57" WMS up front here, 55" rear :D

Works great in the tight windy tree trails, on top of a ~85" wheel base.
Pretty much useless in the rocks though.
All depends where you're running.

PORTER said:
I have never had a problem running thru any trail in Washington at 81 inches. Been thru Evans,Elbe,Rimrock,Tahuya,Reiter,etc. Sure once in a while I would rub tires but completely doeable. FYI The Sausage Robin drives is in the mid 90s, and in Super sausage(Reversed Rims) he is 108 if I remember right. Only one trail at Rimrock got him. Driver plays a big role if you are wide. Personally I like my current setup at 79 inches to outer tire.:clappy:

But your throwing a whole different factor into it mike. With the width there are a # of trails that would cause a full body rig to "peel" the sheet metal off :D

Robins rig is way wider than 83 inches. I think hes almost at 100 outside of tire 2 outside of tire..I will be at 88(?) inches with a wms of 65 frt and rear.

I am 82 and 3/16"....ha ha ha...

You have to think about where you want to place that far tire...as mentioned wheelbase plays major factor into the whole equation...as does rig height...

Latest posts