• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How wide is too wide?

shotmobile

I'm going to be running a Ford 78 HP axle. It measures just under 70 inches. Now with H1 rims I have to run a 2" spacer on each side in order to clear the steering arm and the brake bleeder screw. With that combo and 12.5 wide TSL/SX's I be at 82" wide from outside to outside of the tires. This seems really wide to me. What is everyone else sitting at that is running full widths?

The other option is to chop of the steering arm, and buy special offset highsteer arms and cut down the bleader screw. That would allow me to mount the rims directly to the hub like normal. The only draw back is that my hub(lock out) will stick out about 1/2" to 1/4" past the edge of the tire. Is that really that much to worry about? Plus this will make my scrub radius right on with 38's.

So post up your thoughts and ideas.

shotmobile said:
I'm going to be running a Ford 78 HP axle. It measures just under 70 inches. Now with H1 rims I have to run a 2" spacer on each side in order to clear the steering arm and the brake bleeder screw. With that combo and 12.5 wide TSL/SX's I be at 82" wide from outside to outside of the tires. This seems really wide to me. What is everyone else sitting at that is running full widths?

The other option is to chop of the steering arm, and buy special offset highsteer arms and cut down the bleader screw. That would allow me to mount the rims directly to the hub like normal. The only draw back is that my hub(lock out) will stick out about 1/2" to 1/4" past the edge of the tire. Is that really that much to worry about? Plus this will make my scrub radius right on with 38's.

So post up your thoughts and ideas.

I think 82 is wide but not to wide "I believe".. now 84 and above tends to get too wide. It also depends highly on the body width even more. You throw a 82" wide axle under a 52" buggy and no prob, under a blazer and you have troubles

I forgot to say that the second set up will put me at 78" and that's were I'm at now. I would like to stay at this width, I just worried about the hubs sticking out.

As far as recentering the rims that really doesn't help. Because then I just keeping the same 82" width, but with no spacers.

I not too worried about the body. It can be cut and hacked with not worries. I'm just going to do a tube fender style flairs once I get done.

78' would be good, but if your 82 I wouldnt go redoing my axles to shave 2".. and it does suck to have hubs sticking out. If you goto drive flanges it shaves the hubs by almost 2" also... but you cant unlock them

for the record I'm 81 to 82 and have never had a width issue, but it is under a buggy chassis

I am right at 82" with my Iroks and it really seems quite nice...alot more stability than before I put the wheel spacers in. This is under a Tacoma and the tires stick out at least a third past the fenders. So far I have been able to squeeze through some pretty tight trails without scarfing up trees...not saying that I don't rub them a little more than a stock jeep though

Snice were on the subject. One other concern is with my front at 82" the back will be at 76". Does 6" of difference, or 3" per side, seems like a lot. I know the front should be wider than the rear, but by how much is acceptable. Keep I mind this will be driven on the road.

I think you'll be OK, although I wouldn't want to be any wider than about 80"(coincidentaly the width of my trailer deck:; ).

I'm at 80" bulge to bulge on my rig, with a stock width waggy axle, 2" spacers (to clear the steering arms), and 3.75" (I think) backspaced wheels, and 13.50" wide Iroks. I wouldn't want to be much wider, but an extra inch on either side wouldn't make or break it for me, except when it comes to fitting on the trailer. I would go with your current plan and use the spacers to keep the hubs more protected and the steering arms clear, personally.

So far this is pretty good news. I was worried about options on high steer arms. With the width at 82" I now have many options. I'm leaning towards these from poison spyder..

60armintro_SM.jpg

NotMatt said:
I'm at 80" bulge to bulge on my rig, with a stock width waggy axle, 2" spacers (to clear the steering arms), and 3.75" (I think) backspaced wheels, and 13.50" wide Iroks. I wouldn't want to be much wider, but an extra inch on either side wouldn't make or break it for me, except when it comes to fitting on the trailer. I would go with your current plan and use the spacers to keep the hubs more protected and the steering arms clear, personally.
Thats funny....I have exactly the same setup except I have 1.5" spacers and come out to 82"...maybe my wheels really aren't 3.75 BS :wtf:

shotmobile said:
So far this is pretty good news. I was worried about options on high steer arms. With the width at 82" I now have many options. I'm leaning towards these from poison spyder..

60armintro_SM.jpg

how much are they?

Grommit327 said:
Thats funny....I have exactly the same setup except I have 1.5" spacers and come out to 82"...maybe my wheels really aren't 3.75 BS :wtf:

Are the rims 8" or 10" wide?