• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HP D50 vs LP D60.........FIGHT! (((hardline revival thread)))

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
The post random pic thread sparked this. Let's argue about some numbers and such....

Try to make it as apples to apples as we can be so lets state both have the highest potential for ring gear failure.....some ratio in the 5.38 or whatever range.

Who wins the battle of wheeling axle / diff? If a LP D60 was 750-800$ would you choose it over the same/less/more priced D50? What would the price break be to make choice?

I'm not gonna research aftermarket on a D50 to verify.... But I'd betthat it is hugely lacking. Therefore. I'd rock old faithful LP60, and worse case cut the C's and crank that hoe up as high as needed.

/END THREAD. Forum dead again :****: :flipoff1:

The ring gear diameter really isnt the problem with a dana 50, the 30 spline inner shafts and tiny pinion shaft are where the trrouble comes in. LP 60 actually isnt a weak axle it just isnt as strong as a HP 60. The problem with a dana 50 is as far as I know it can't really be upgraded to fix its weak points that will let you down at some point no matter how easy you on your stuff. The main problem with the $750-$800 LP60 is that you can get a balljoint 60 or super duty 60 much cheaper and have a high pinion gearset.

d_daffron said:
The ring gear diameter really isnt the problem with a dana 50, the 30 spline inner shafts and tiny pinion shaft are where the trrouble comes in. LP 60 actually isnt a weak axle it just isnt as strong as a HP 60. The problem with a dana 50 is as far as I know it can't really be upgraded to fix its weak points that will let you down at some point no matter how easy you on your stuff. The main problem with the $750-$800 LP60 is that you can get a balljoint 60 or super duty 60 much cheaper and have a high pinion gearset.

Is the D50 not upgradable to 35 spline(I did not know they were 30....figured they were 35 like a D60)? I realize this is chasing the rabbit down the hole, but I don't think i've ever seen a D50 out on the trail. They only time I see them being mentioned is when their C's outward are being salvaged for another axle build.

tonybolton said:
Is the D50 not upgradable to 35 spline(I did not know they were 30....figured they were 35 like a D60)? I realize this is chasing the rabbit down the hole, but I don't think i've ever seen a D50 out on the trail. They only time I see them being mentioned is when their C's outward are being salvaged for another axle build.

Their inner shafts are necked down to 30 spline, I guess with some work you could probably make something work like machining a 60 spool to go in there or machining 60 side gears to fit in a 50 carrier, but then you'd still have the tiny dana 50 pinion shaft. I think for the money its just cheaper to start with a balljoint 60 or a super duty 60 which should be available for $5-600 if you aren't deal hunting.

The weakest link for both axles are the stub shafts both are 30 spline. Both can be upgraded to 35 spline. The D50 will require boring the unit bearings.
I believe there is a 35 spline spool for a D50.
That moves the weak link (with GOOD shafts) to the pinion shaft or gearsets.
Upper balljoints can be an issue but the stock knuckles are stronger.

no matter what you do, the Dana 50 will always have a tiny D44 size pinion.

Plus the D50 comes in a D60 size chunk.

It's not even really a comparison since D50 solid axles are all driver side drop - balljoint - unit bearing setups, and most all LP60s are pass side - kingpin - dead spindle...

I guess one could compare a LP-CAD-BJ-UB Dodge D60 vs a SD50...

But that would be dumb as hell, and there is no good reason purchase either of those axles to use in stock form.

I guess I'm the cause of this thread, you're welcome for getting some folks to post.
When I was looking the D50 wasn't even an afterthought. I did my homework to make sure I didn't end up with one but that was it. I suppose I could gear one and lock it but I'm upgrading from my D44 and that really wouldn't be an upgrade. And like TBItoy said the LP60 is typically passenger drop with the exception of early ford versions and Dodge, but the Dodge is a CAD axle and who wants that garbage.

You could do the jana60 kit in a 50 and get 60 gears and carrer in there. Jantz 4x4 makes it. Carl is a good dude and is somewhat of a mad scientist lol!!!

Batmobile will is my friend...

Hahahahahaha!!!!

POR said:
You could do the jana60 kit in a 50 and get 60 gears and carrer in there. Jantz 4x4 makes it. Carl is a good dude and is somewhat of a mad scientist lol!!!

Batmobile will is my friend...

Hahahahahaha!!!!

Nope.

You can put 50 gears in a 44, and 70 gears in a 60, but the pinion offset is wrong to put 60 gears in a 50.

The "50 gears in a 44" is obsolete now, with the new gen JKHP44 gears which are 8.8" with a bigger pinion than a d50...

TBItoy said:
Nope.

You can put 50 gears in a 44, and 70 gears in a 60, but the pinion offset is wrong to put 60 gears in a 50.

The "50 gears in a 44" is obsolete now, with the new gen JKHP44 gears which are 8.8" with a bigger pinion than a d50...

Yep your right... not sure why i got that confused lol i remeber talking to carl about that before he released those kits. Looks like he does the jk gears in old 44's now too. I bet that's a pretty hot conversion throughout the jeeple crowd in my area. Do people really have that much problems with 44 gear sets? I always found the axles to be the problem.. honestly i dont really remember wasting too many dana gear sets at all.. now toyota on the other hand.. those have a quick experation date lol!

POR said:
Yep your right... not sure why i got that confused lol i remeber talking to carl about that before he released those kits. Looks like he does the jk gears in old 44's now too. I bet that's a pretty hot conversion throughout the jeeple crowd in my area. Do people really have that much problems with 44 gear sets? I always found the axles to be the problem.. honestly i dont really remember wasting too many dana gear sets at all.. now toyota on the other hand.. those have a quick experation date lol!

I reckon a HP44 gearset is stronger than any axle shafts you can fit in a 44 knuckle.

Although Fusion4x4 is selling HP60 center with JK30/44 outers... so who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
no matter what you do, the Dana 50 will always have a tiny D44 size pinion.

Plus the D50 comes in a D60 size chunk.

It's not even really a comparison since D50 solid axles are all driver side drop - balljoint - unit bearing setups, and most all LP60s are pass side - kingpin - dead spindle...

I guess one could compare a LP-CAD-BJ-UB Dodge D60 vs a SD50...

I was thinking the same thing about the dodge axle.

If you could pick up and use either a 50 or LP60 to get you by, you could always do a 14 bolt front with the outer components later.

But that would be dumb as hell, and there is no good reason purchase either of those axles to use in stock form.

Is this the dumbest thread on Hardline? Maybe.

I've found the Dana 50 to be good for one thing. Parts. I broke a 35 spline outer in a HP60 many moons ago and it blew the spindle out with it. I was able to get a D50 from a junkyard for $50 (because they are huge pieces of ****) and swap the spindle onto my HP60 and toss the other spindle in my toolbox for a spare. I think I sold the brake parts to someone else doing a 60 swap and ended up making money. So there you go.

redneckengineered said:
Is this the dumbest thread on Hardline? Maybe.

I've found the Dana 50 to be good for one thing. Parts. I broke a 35 spline outer in a HP60 many moons ago and it blew the spindle out with it. I was able to get a D50 from a junkyard for $50 (because they are huge pieces of ****) and swap the spindle onto my HP60 and toss the other spindle in my toolbox for a spare. I think I sold the brake parts to someone else doing a 60 swap and ended up making money. So there you go.

That's a TTB 50.... even worse than a Super Duty 50!

Actually the ttb 50 axle shafts make good donor parts for 1350 driveshafts (along with the srw D60 spindle/hub donor parts too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts