• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydro ram protection

dodgecrawler2011

I have my single ended ram mounted behind my tie rod in the factory postion on my chevy 60. Its a 2 inch diameter ram.. im a lil worried about it taking a hit. Anybody build any protection around thiers. Not quiet sure how to go about it

I used drilling rods used for cutting holes in rock bluffs for explosives. I used it on my Samurai D60 with a single ended ram and also kept it on the axle when I went to a double ended ram on my buggy. It might not be the prettiest thing but you can't kill it. I have yet to dent it. I had DOM tube smashed flat in no time.

IMAG0355.jpg

dodgecrawler2011 said:
Did you run a plate on it
I added one when I went with a double ended ram but only to mount it. I just noticed the first dent in it last night and it was near where the plate was welded to it. The plate kept it from flexing and absorbing the impact.

I used .120 wall dom sleeved with .120 so basically 1/4" wall and it is bent, bowed, not a strait spot on it. I would look into the drill rod like sawzall suggested. I've talked with him and a few others about it, guess it's some tuff stuff! i'm either gonna located some drill rod or go another route to rebuild mine.