• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hydro steering fluid?

i've been running the amsoil for a few years, what issues were yall have'n? my pumps seem like they get weak over time.

We used to run this on our comp rig and had the same issues, changed to regular power steering fluid and been fine ever since. This was with a hydro assist kit, all PSC parts except the box was a stock drilled/tapped one. When we switched to the power steering fluid we also changed to a PSC box, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I have seen a lot of people say "don't run ATF", but I have been doing it for 10 years with no issues. Cheap pumps, Howe trophy truck pumps, PSC, POS etc. No issues at all with any of them. In fact the only time I have ever lost a pump was when running Amsoil. It was right when I became a dealer for POS and went with a good fluid on a new system. Pump didn't last a month. When I replaced the pump, I went back to using ATF and have had no issues since. The added bonus is that it cuts down on the amount and types of oil you carry with you.

fl-krawler said:
I have seen a lot of people say "don't run ATF", but I have been doing it for 10 years with no issues. Cheap pumps, Howe trophy truck pumps, PSC, POS etc. No issues at all with any of them. In fact the only time I have ever lost a pump was when running Amsoil. It was right when I became a dealer for POS and went with a good fluid on a new system. Pump didn't last a month. When I replaced the pump, I went back to using ATF and have had no issues since. The added bonus is that it cuts down on the amount and types of oil you carry with you.

Straight from PSC's instructions -

4. Fill reservoir with power steering fluid (NEVER use automatic transmission fluid). Leave the cap
off of the reservoir.

- now I ran ATF for years with no issue, just regular offroading/ crawling - the first race I ran I burned up a pump , did a lot of research and found out the ATF has a course mixture of particles and no anti foaming agents - it is heavy in detergents and doesn't cool as well - the "grit" in ATF is known to eat up a pump - in a low revving vehicle you should be ok with anything but if you rock bounce or race I'd definitely stick with a synthetic power steering fluid

Running Lucas Power steering fluid. PSC on phone recommended a list of fluids. Lucas was the only one I could walk in about any parts house and pick up.

I ran the special elixer BS and the pressure line blew out in first ride. It is a pretty blue color but don't taste any better and still caught on fire. laughing1 So I just started buying the lucas no major problems yet.

I just run a toyota power steering box with a gm pump, it use to get very hot, i add a plate type cooler with a fan, and run Amsoil Hydraulic oil, and you can lay your hand on it at anytime and its cool!