• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I’m thinking of replacing my glass windshield

KickinChicken

for something lighter like Lexon or some other type of plexiglass. How thick is the glass on a CJ?
F735E0E3-2945-4913-9ECF-FE8B1AE199DB.jpeg

I did my TJ and LJ buggys with Lexan, bought 1/4" thick. It is more scratch resistant than plexiglass. I then used Plexus to clean and polish them a bunch before we hit the trails and every time I cleaned it. I don't recommend using your windshield wipers at all. The Lexan would have a little flex to it at higher speeds, I did a little street driving but not much. I bought the Lexan from a local plastic supply place, busted out what was left of my windshield and made a cardboard template. I cut out using a cordless skill saw for the long straights and used a jig saw with a narrow wood blade for the corners. I taped off the middle and left 1" all the way around and painted it black to cover the adhesive when I went back and glued it in. I just used some black rtv, lasted for years and looked just like factory.

My buggy and my SXS both have Lexan windshield I made. On those I used rubber clamps to hold them to the cage.

I built a Lexan windshield for our RzR from a local glass/plastic supplier. They recommended the Lexan over Plexi for the use. Only issue I ran into was dew on the windshield for night riding.

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is less likely to shatter into shards if you rollover vs. Acrylic (Plexiglass).
It does scratch fairly easy but I have ran a sheet of Lexan for a couple of years and it has held up well. Light scratches can be removed with a heat gun by applying just enough heat to melt the outer surface. Too much heat and it will turn white.

I ran a Lexan windshield in my YJ for about 6-8 years. It gets scratches from dust/mud and limbs over time. I decided to go back to glass after not being able to see driving up v notch in the afternoon at Morris Mtn. The sun hits the scratches and creates a big glare. I only ride with the windshield frame on during the winter or a heavy rain days anyway.

Do you use a quick disconnect device? If so, please share what you're using.

Thanks in advance.
My quick disconnect on the homemade Lexan windshield for the RzR was a bunch of reusable zip ties. Took a couple of minutes for on/off but not terrible.

If I did one again I'd use this kit from Amazon.

Cable Clamp Assortment Kit, LOKMAN 46 Pieces 304 Stainless Steel Rubber Cushion Insulated Pipe Clamps Assorted in 6 Size 1/2'' 1'' 1.25'' 1.5'' 1.75'' 2'' Amazon product ASIN B075WSPRW5

I have a Jeep YJ. I used a grinder to removed the windshield hinge pin. Tapped the outside part of the hinge to match the threads of a 3/4 ton gm brake caliper bolt. I use a bolt on each side. Tabs and a couple bolts at the top. 4 bolts and unplugging the wiper motor and the windshield frame off.
Threads are yellow. Caliper bolt in red.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 192150.jpg

Latest posts