• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I’m new and have questions!

N8Dogg

Migrating from a fzj80 as trail/crawl rig to a purpose built, buggy etc. The challenge I'm finding is that I'm 6'2" 265 and everything's tight. I'm currently eyeballing a rig that's based on a Yota PU frame and seems to have plenty space. The 2 things I have questions about are a) it has a 4.3 Vortec and it's a 120" WB with a 29" belly on 40" Treps. I've been told that's pushing the limits of "too big" and that the Vortec may be under powered. Thankful for all answers and any guidance in my buggy search.
Thanks
Nate

what axles does it have? what trans/tcases?

4.3 is fine for a trail rig, of course you won't be jumping any bouncer hills...
having low enough gearing is to crawl is more important in a trail rig.

Makes sense. Definitely looking to crawl and not bounce. My old ass can't handle it. Sent you a PM. Thanks

What suspension setup does it have? Leaf springs, linked?

Definitely get more info on axles, gears, t-case, suspension, etc.

29" belly is a freaking monster truck. My buggy is around 18" belly at ride height on 40's with 106" wheel base.

My buggy is on 43's with a 20" belly and 122" wheelbase. The set up you mentioned seems very tall and long for its width assuming its on toyota axles. that 4.3 will be good for a trail rig assuming you have the right gearing behind it. Alot of jeeps out there with a straight six in them doing just fine.

I've got a buggy with a 4.3, 700r4, ton axles, 5.13 gears with 42" trep stickies. No problem with power for anything at Harlan, AOP, etc. 113 wheelbase with 21" belly.

im 6'4 it took a while to find a rig that ws right for me but its doable. just have to be patient and keep looking. I ended up posting in the rock buggy page of facebook what i was looking for. Then Enzo and I drove to Texas to get it!

im 6'4 it took a while to find a rig that ws right for me but its doable. just have to be patient and keep looking. I ended up posting in the rock buggy page of facebook what i was looking for. Then Enzo and I drove to Texas to get it!

idk if i could ride with @Bebop for that long :rolf:

Heres a different side, If its on a yota frame and is still using yota cases, then there's a chance that it is using a budbuilt or similar crossmember. If thats the case then it could expalin such a high belly height. My old buggy was built off a yota frame, was 123" wb, had yota axles for years, had like 27" belly, and was only 6' tall. Im 6.1 and had plenty of room due to the way it was designed but couldnt see anything over the motor cage cause it was built 10 years ago and modeled after the first ugly rock bouncers. Cause, well everybody knows, not being able to see across the motor cage is super awesome.