• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I just need 5 more inches ( driveshaft ? )

Eddyj

So my front and rear driveshafts are 5 inch different. I kind of wanted to have equal length driveshaft. But by no means do they have to be $$$$. I've Always Run Square Drive shafts and never had an issue. My question is coming off the transfer case is there an easy way just to do a 5 inch extension. Without getting into all the $$$$$$ of some bling 2 piece drive shaft.
I would prefer them to be the same length that way when I do upgrade to good driveshafts I could just order the same size.

Yeah, I can't go back with the front axle. Nor do I want to extend the rear anymore. I'm already at 120 wheelbase.

Eddyj said:
Just to get it going. I will make 3 square driveshafts with enough slip to be swappable.
are you linked front and rear? If so measure travel distance of both slips and get long spline slips that will work in both locations!

Eddyj said:
Yeah linked front and rear. Rocks. First build for me.
From my experience! Rockwell buggys with link suspension don't generally break drive shafts. Not usually a steep angle guarded from rocks and such big joint at the axle and 1350-1410 at the tcase the axle gearing takes a lot of the load off of the tcase and driveshafts. IMO if you get good shafts built once and your four link holds up you shouldn't need a spare. If you just like carrying parts them build your spare out of square so it'll be cheap and will work on both ends!

I would try and stay away from the square tube drivelines. You already gonna have the Rockwell chatters and then the square drivelines will be all kinds of noise and vibrations. Not sayin it won't work but you will want to kill yourself if you have to cruise it anywhere with any speed. This is just my opinion so don't blow up on me mine raise hell at about 60 and drives me nuts :****:

On my jeep I had local drive train shop make me a HD driveshaft. Twisted first time out. Rebuilt it, and never had a problem. The front was square, and I beat the hell out of it. Never had any issues.
Most likely I will go get some tube extend the round shaft and use in the rear. And make two square shafts that will interchange front and rear to get going.
The point is my lower links are identical front and rear, so are the uppers. I was kinda of hoping for matching driveshafts also. No big deal.
On a side note I've never had rocks or rode in a buggy with them. So I haven't given chatter much thought. One more thing to think about.

Latest posts