• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

IFS power steering

JDodd

I have designed a lightweight IFS suspension and I'm just wanting to see what ideas yall have to power the steering.

I've been looking at a dune buggy type rack and pinion and there seems to be 3 ways to power it 1) Electric assist 2) Charlynn Torque Generator 3) Hydraulic ram assist

Im not familiar with the Charlynn but it looks like it is the easiest one to hook up from the small amount of space and it just runs of a pump, but from what I've read they do not recommend this for high speeds due to how rapid it will turn.

The electric assist seems to be the best for what I'm wanting to do with the ease of mounting but my concern is the controlling system and the reliability

I just add the ram to the list so yall would know I looked into it but theres not enough room.

Heres some pictures to help yall understand what I'm doing

Before switching to a rack, I was going to run a double ended ram that had the ends of the rams fixed at the the chassis and mount the tierods to the cylinder body.
So steering the cylinder moves back and forth vs the traditional tierods on the end of the rams.
That way you get your steering pick up points close to inline with your suspension pick up points and minimize bump steer. Would only be sketchy at high speed as you dont get the same feedback through the wheel as you do with a rack.

Yeah Im set on using the rack just dont know want to use to power it. with using the rack with custom mounting fixture Ive got virtually no bump steer on what i have designed