• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I'll give you a tip !!!!!

patooyee said:
I haven't read this thread in a few days and don't have time to catch up. Probably won't read it after this. But I just want to apologize to ntidwell for my F.U. comment. It was childish and immature and not how I wish to represent myself. Obviously I just felt very passionate about it. I still feel that tipping based on race or sex is wrong but I could have represented my point of view more eloquently.
Ain't no thing man it's obvious you're very passionate and take a lot of pride in what you do also you gave me some very valid points to consider while tipping. Like I said I feel we had a very good discussion. No offense was taken by the F.U. That's a normal conversation starter around and in my field of work anyone that knows me already knows this. And I really didn't mean anything when I was referring to Obama pot not towards you it was more so the wealth sharing but now that I know how your business is ran I can see why it's split between everyone Everyone is kinda working as a team and not really assigned to a certain amount of tables everyone just taking care of everybody

Re: I'll give you a tip !!!!!

94xjsport94 said:
Here is my .02. In high school (I'm 21 now) and my first year of college I worked at a pizza place in town. It's a small local chain that doesn't deliver, no beer, closed Sunday's, no waiters/ waitresses, honestly not that special. I was started at $8 an hour and made that for 2.5 years working there. There was a tip jar and we would get about $20 a month in tips, it was based off of how much was collected and then divided by how many hours you worked that month. We had right at 20 ee's while I was there. Wasn't bad for only having a tip jar since CC receipts didn't have a spot for tips I guess. Free $20 is how I saw it for doing my job. Granted I always worked in the kitchen, but it never bothered me not getting more tips because for what I did I thought $8 an hour was fair for my skill set and responsibilities at the time. I got some skillz from the technical school and got a new job making more so I left and haven't thought about it again. On FB I see people who have worked there almost 5 years still complaining about making now $8.50 an hour, not being tipped (nothing has changed), and have quit school to work there part time doing 39 hours a week. It's the perfect job for their complacency and skill set, society needs stupid people like them in their 20's.

I see a lot of this from other people my age on FB too. This is part of my entitlement generation who thinks they are something truly special and unique. I could post screen shots daily of a guy or girl in their 20's or 30's complaining about how hard it is to be a server and that they aren't tipped well. My favorite part of this was going to a restaurant and having 1 of these girls wait on me and having some pretty poor service. Drink constantly empty, food sat at the kitchen window for a while while she was talking to her friends and on her phone, rude, and generally uninterested in trying to pretend like she wanted to be there.
1c2cf12f9d532675ae283f2aef78ae81.jpg
As god as my witness I would be in jail and lose my job the day I got that tip.

Re: I'll give you a tip !!!!!

kushKrawlin said:
As god as my witness I would be in jail and lose my job the day I got that tip.

Well, it does say it took an hour to get the food. I've left a nickel before for waiting 45 minutes at an O'Charley's with a full staff and maybe 5 tables to serve.

kushKrawlin said:
this **** here is still crazy!! Haha When I met Yall and hung out at grey rock there's 2 things that you could have put a gun to my head and I would have never guessed..!
1. That you were a teacher.
2. That's you in your avatar pic.
I bet the average person looks at that avatar then hears your a teacher and thinks "prob a lil older guy that's in bed by 9" ...
Then they meet you and as your on the rev limiter on a big block raisin hell by them they notice that your prob younger than they are. Hahahaha :****:

That was a good time for sure. I tend to act that way most of the time.
Career Tech teacher are a little different. We come from industry not prep school

wont work said:
That was a good time for sure. I tend to act that way most of the time.
Career Tech teacher are a little different. We come from industry not prep school

Nice sweater Captain Kangaroo. :flipoff1:

Re: Re: I'll give you a tip !!!!!

5BrothersFabrication said:
Well, it does say it took an hour to get the food. I've left a nickel before for waiting 45 minutes at an O'Charley's with a full staff and maybe 5 tables to serve.

Was it the kitchens fault or the server? If it's the kitchen fault, what could the server do? Unfair penalty if it's not their fault.

Re: Re: I'll give you a tip !!!!!

Mortalis5509 said:
Was it the kitchens fault or the server? If it's the kitchen fault, what could the server do? Unfair penalty if it's not their fault.

When I saw her bullshitting with the bartender for several minutes, that made my blood boil. If it was me, I'd be in the kitchen asking "What can I do to help you idiots get the food out quicker?" Maybe blame management for not re-tasking some of the wait staff into the kitchen or call a cook in on his day off. Either way it wasn't worth throwing down an extra $7 on the table, much less 10% of $7.

I tip based on effort. I gave the carhop at sonic $.050 today. I parked by the door. They took my order over the speaker, he/she walked it out to my car, I had the amount with the tip already in my hand and the interaction lasted less than a minute by far. I tip about 20% at restaurants. They are seating me, bringing drinks, taking orders, bringing food, refilling drinks, getting money, bringing change. I try to think about their target $/hr. If they are good they can cover a few tables and hustle to keep stuff covered. If I'm there an hour and tip 6ish$ on a $30 table for the wife and I, I assume she/he can cover 3ish other tables at teh same time. Will there always be tables, no, will there always be tippers, no, but lets say if everyone was like me, I don't bitch a bunch, I don't send food back, I'm polite, and I tip pretty much always. It is still their living, but if you're not cut out for it, you will get 5% (assuming its your fault, not the cooks/management etc) So that person with 3 tables getting $6/hr off each table (hopefully more) should be in the $20/hr range during the busy times, and hopefully more like $30/hr for 2.5 ish hours. The rest of the time there is a lot of behind the scenes work and slow times so it averages out. If a service worker can make $15/hr, that's probably right. I feel the amount I give is justified (duh, I've justified it to myself).
Back to sonic. He/she walked out, handed me food, I gave money, see ya. Now I don't have them for an hour and at a bare minimum 5 trips to my table with an open ended interaction(so 12-15 min of their hour on my top for $6), I have them for 45 seconds. So the sit down joint gets about $.050/minute they are with me, so does the carhop. My ticket at sonic was $5 with tax. I tipped 10%, but that person didn't refill my drink, they didnt' ask if I needed anything else etc, so my normal quarter to $.75 feels right depending on size of order and difficulty to deliver
I rambled, didn't proofread, sorry if my grammar and spelling are shitty. Not typing as much as I used to anymore

blacksheep10 said:
I tip based on effort. I gave the carhop at sonic $.050 today. I parked by the door. They took my order over the speaker, he/she walked it out to my car, I had the amount with the tip already in my hand and the interaction lasted less than a minute by far. I tip about 20% at restaurants. They are seating me, bringing drinks, taking orders, bringing food, refilling drinks, getting money, bringing change. I try to think about their target $/hr. If they are good they can cover a few tables and hustle to keep stuff covered. If I'm there an hour and tip 6ish$ on a $30 table for the wife and I, I assume she/he can cover 3ish other tables at teh same time. Will there always be tables, no, will there always be tippers, no, but lets say if everyone was like me, I don't bitch a bunch, I don't send food back, I'm polite, and I tip pretty much always. It is still their living, but if you're not cut out for it, you will get 5% (assuming its your fault, not the cooks/management etc) So that person with 3 tables getting $6/hr off each table (hopefully more) should be in the $20/hr range during the busy times, and hopefully more like $30/hr for 2.5 ish hours. The rest of the time there is a lot of behind the scenes work and slow times so it averages out. If a service worker can make $15/hr, that's probably right. I feel the amount I give is justified (duh, I've justified it to myself).
Back to sonic. He/she walked out, handed me food, I gave money, see ya. Now I don't have them for an hour and at a bare minimum 5 trips to my table with an open ended interaction(so 12-15 min of their hour on my top for $6), I have them for 45 seconds. So the sit down joint gets about $.050/minute they are with me, so does the carhop. My ticket at sonic was $5 with tax. I tipped 10%, but that person didn't refill my drink, they didnt' ask if I needed anything else etc, so my normal quarter to $.75 feels right depending on size of order and difficulty to deliver
I rambled, didn't proofread, sorry if my grammar and spelling are shitty. Not typing as much as I used to anymore
So Bruce/Caitlin Jenner works at Sonic?? :rolf: molaugh

Yes, used to be a skinny tatted up (face and neck even) light brown skinned curly headed dude, is now the exact same with boobs. Assuming pre op as I hear the delete-a-**** surgery is 'spensive and he/she works at sonic.
We were at a nice burger joint about 20 min North of us some time back and my wife couldn't wait to tell me something in just a bit. Finally we go to the car and there 2 people are making out beside a car in the parking lot. She really loses it. We get in the car and she's like, "did you see who that was!"
Nope, what's up.
That was the he/she from sonic, they were at teh table behind me, so she could see them behind me, and she could hear them making first date type small talk. Next thing we see them making out in the parking lot pretty hot and heavy. Must be good tape on the dong to conceal that weapon laughing1
And, that is who served me my food yesterday. It is already in the bag when he/she grabs it so I'm not concerned. :flipoff1:

Holy ****! I was just joking!!! :rolf: :rolf:
Went to high school with a dude named Charlie, he worked at McDonald's,always hung out with the girls,liked Care Bears and ****, etc...
Everyone knew he was gay, which was kinda rare thing (openly anyways) back in the mid 80s in southern Ky. Well eventually Charlie became Charlene....never heard if he/she went full non-penis. :dunno:
Don't wanna know for that matter! People are all kinds of fawked up...more so today though!! :****: ::)

Hate when I cannt sleep...just read this entire thread....

-There are some very good points in this thread...always nice to head JJ's thoughts...he sounds like a pro in his industry.

-I like to think I tip anytime we go out...if they work on tips they deserve tips

-We love to go out...ALOT...we also love to cook in. I learned most of my tipping habits from watching others NOT tip. Usually people with money are a little slack on tipping...those who work hard for a living and maybe are in the middle class seem to tip a little higher. I try to always round up alot and make sure they know we are tipping.

-Fed EX, labors, house workers, etc...i always offer cold drinks or food...them seem to always appreciate it.

-anything automotive....always drinks or food or breakfast...who doesn't like a bag of 15 sausage biscuits to start the day at the tire store.

Thank you JohnG..i was wondering why things seemed better around here lately....

bump instead of starting a different topic.

Not food related but had a different tipping topic come up yesterday at work and I have no idea what to leave so maybe some of you high rollers can shed some light on $$$ amounts.

Im going to a convention with work in a few weeks and the company is picking up the tab on expenses but I was told I need to keep a written record of all cash tips I leave. No big deal but as I was being told about it he said when I arrive at the hotel I need to pull in the parking deck, or up to it. From there valet parks the car and was told to tip him. From there bellhop takes our bags to room, tip him too. I much rather park my own ride and tote my own bags but kinda got the idea thats not how its done at this place. Its an Embassy Suits.

So my question is mainly what do you tip valet?
Do you tip when they take and park it or when they go get it?
Or both?
What to you tip the guy carrying bags?

My cheap ass never stays at places like this when i vacation so this new to me.

Re:

I always got a bunch of $5 bills to tip valets and bellhops with when I stay in places like that. Just kept a small roll of them easily accessible to slap 5s in there hands.

$5 at least for everyone you mentioned
If your staying a week and paying for everything yourself ( sounds like your not) start off with $20 or better at the bar or a restaurant if you intend to go there daily you'll get your money back and have great service