• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

in-town wheeling park

SeaRubi

if someone were to come in and put in, say, a 10 acre off-road park with all man made obstacles, what would you pay to play? I think for a lot of people, off-road is more motorsport than getting out to the woods / mountains. if you just want some place to test your driving skills and vehicle mods, why not do it on concrete / high-density foam type obstacles? would you pay admission to an area to avoid having to drive all the way out to an ORV area?

SeaRubi said:
if someone were to come in and put in, say, a 10 acre off-road park with all man made obstacles, what would you pay to play? I think for a lot of people, off-road is more motorsport than getting out to the woods / mountains. if you just want some place to test your driving skills and vehicle mods, why not do it on concrete / high-density foam type obstacles? would you pay admission to an area to avoid having to drive all the way out to an ORV area?

because i like to drink beer... be away from the city... and at the end of the day, have a fire someplace besides a parking lot.:flipoff: good enough?

seriously though...

I'd pay, a - "Annual Membership Fee" to belong to something, like this. say like the 'ol - KOA Campground... Camping & Wheeling.

great thread... and it's only a matter of time until the big buck company / investors actually start to do this as the sport grows.

Last edited:
I work on the capitol campus in olympia... I can't tell you how badAI wana crawl all those stairs and concrete things... Uban Wheeling. :cool:

Totalled said:
I work on the capitol campus in olympia... I can't tell you how badAI wana crawl all those stairs and concrete things... Uban Wheeling. :cool:

not to hijack;

but I've always wanted to be at the Mall during Christmas season w/ a Monster truck... :super: Now i'd give up everyone's Christmas presents for that ride over all them parked cars... oh' yeah... just a dream. just a dream.

urban wheelin kicks ass, hell ya id pay 10 bucks to wheel on concrete and other obsicles legally, kick ass idea:corn:

i would worry about crowding, and dumbasses who think there powerstroke with 37" toyo's on 22" crome blingers can run the concrete hillclimb. there would have to be scheduling, and minimum vehicle requirements. you would also have to set up some sort of waiver so that when joe retard blows up his diesel and blames it on you, you dont have to buy him a new one. i would hate sitting in a parking lot or alike waiting to run obstacles. it would be almost like rush hour. :redneck:

I'd pay $20 a day...providing it's worth it.

You'd have to look at things like:

Insurance
Vehicle recovery
spill containment & clean-up
spectator areas

and this is the important one...

hot chicks working the espresso stand :cool:

Jobless said:
I'd pay $20 a day...providing it's worth it.

You'd have to look at things like:

Insurance
Vehicle recovery
spill containment & clean-up
spectator areas

and this is the important one...

hot chicks working the espresso stand :cool:
good call on the hot esspresso chicks, it would be a cool thing , i'd imagine the insurance for that would be tremendous
ive always had the dream of runnin a big concrete skate park in the jeep

I'd pay to play.

But not that much. As stated before, one of the main reasons I go wheeling, is to get away from the crap and people.

And for the record, urban wheeling rules. I almost rolled my Junk off the loading dock at work. :looser:

it's something i've been thinking about for a long time. with all the trail closures, i think that an urban off-road park could be not only profitable but also lure newbies (including the masses under 21) to somewhere they can get the thrill of offroading in a safe environment and have an opportunity to hang out with a bit older crowd to learn more about the sport, how to build their rig up and how to be responsible in using the real trail systems.

the area would have to be strictly moderated with staff at each obstacle. break the rules and you're out the quick exit to the circle road of shame for losers and broken rigs. example rules - over-throttling obstacles to purposely catch air (like vertical feet, not a few inches) arguing with staff, ignoring signage, exceeding a set number of attempts at an obstacle, or attempting to drive more obstacles with damage to drivetrain or brakes.

driving terms: you'd have to sign a release form swearing you'd not drank any alcohol or taken drugs in the current day, and release the park from damage to your rig or to your person, and that you've read the park rules and agree to follow them or be asked to exit the park. obstacle difficulty would be determined by how well your rig was equipped. you're not driving your new FJC on a difficult wall obstacle without a cage and something besides a lap belt. something like tow insurance might be sold -

for spectators, i'm thinking a walking path setup in the middle with stops at each obstacle would be cool. it has to be easy to walk down to the next obstacle or follow a friend's rig with a video camera. staff would direct traffic at intersections on the course to more/less challenging obstacles depending on a colored sticker that dictates what obstacles you can and can't run.
a couple concession stands for stadium eats, redbull and espresso would be a given.

entry would be staged. for instance, you drive in and a staffer does a quick visual mechanical safety inspection of your rig and determines what color sticker you get. you drive up a a 30~40 degree incline and are told to shift to N and hold it with your brakes. your told to drive over the breakover and stop near the top, and to set your e-brake and let off the foot brake. down the other side for steering inspection - turn full lock left, full lock right. get your sticker and enter the park. simple traffic lights at entry and between obstacles would keep rigs from piling up.

to avoid roll-over damage, i'm dreaming up some kind of sliding tether type system that would let you tie off and drive through with the fixed end of the tether mounted on rollers to a rail paralleling the trail on the uphill side. if your rig starts to roll the wrong way it'd catch on the tether, and a hand-crank would let a spotter or staffer set the rig back down on all fours and get spotted the rest of the way out. likewise, dedicated fixed-mount winches at the ends of obstacles would help remove blocking vehicles. basically just set a 2" reciever in concrete with rebar at perpendicular angles to the pull line; this would allow a smaller number of tray-winches to be moved around the course as needed.

for sure it would require some big bucks to do right - i'd probably be seeking investment backers from construction or development companies.

Would be fun to watch the wanna be's and Mall crawlers F up their stuff... But I prefer the forest/mountains for teh environment, lack of crowds and scenery. I'd pay for easy testing purposes after a mod or addon, I'm sure it will take off.

Some of your ideas sound more like an amusement park ride than a wheelin course.

Like driving a course while tethered? Where's the challenge in that if you know that there are no consequences?

Besides, lets face it, spectators want to see carnage and/or watch rigs pull off a sick line clean.

The park still sounds like a cool idea though.

Jobless said:
Some of your ideas sound more like an amusement park ride than a wheelin course.

Like driving a course while tethered? Where's the challenge in that if you know that there are no consequences?

Besides, lets face it, spectators want to see carnage and/or watch rigs pull off a sick line clean.

The park still sounds like a cool idea though.

for yuppies, yeah. if you can give them a small trail and a few obstacles to get their fix basically risk free, why not take their money for the privelege? :;

so what kind of harder obstacles would you like to see? i was thinking of stepped, wall type courses with big ledges / rocks cemented in place, probably built into the side of a hill. flat rock garden type areas don't seem to be as compelling - you need to get some vert awwnn :cool: i dunno tho - i see lots of pics form the little garden at tahuya, too. what would folks be interested in?

Honestly....

I would probably go all the time...It would be a great place to have meetings, "runs", test new additions to the machine....

Most importantly it would provide a fix...there are times where I want to go and just get off-camber...burp the throttle a little bit...play around and just have fun. I want to do this without driving an hour and a half...and worry about getting back to the trailhead and drive home (no trailer yet:sad: ). Just so that I can get a quick day, or half day fix of excitement....

I would be all for it.

Latest posts