• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Inexpensive Meat processing equipment???

al1tonyota

I'm looking at processing my own deer meat and it seams there are a lot of options when it comes to grinders and cubers. What kinds have you used or do you use? I like the prices of the hand crank operated but some of them get into the price range of the small electric ones! I only plan to do 2-3 deer a year but want to be able to use it for a long time. I already bought a vacum sealer for the finished product. Oh and already killed the first deer currently soaking in the cooler!

I've looked at a lot of them online just wanted some real world experience it seems all of the hand crank ones don't have a feed tray like the electric ones?

All my stuff is over 15yrs old and is junk compared to the stuff selling now. Processing your own is work and can take a good amount of time if you're working alone. Just some advice, Your meat would be better off elevated and out of any cooler water.

Re:

I bought a grinder attachment for the wife's Kitchen Aide mixure, it has done pretty good for years. Cuber I have a cheap hand crank from Cabela's, it sucks

GONOVRIT said:
All my stuff is over 15yrs old and is junk compared to the stuff selling now. Processing your own is work and can take a good amount of time if you're working alone. Just some advice, Your meat would be better off elevated and out of any cooler water.
You don't soak your meat in salt water and ice? I know letting it hang in a cooler would be best but that's not an option for doo it yourself? I have more time than money so the work doesn't bother me.

I know a lot of people do it that way but no. You can use anything to keep the meat out of the water. I use frozen water bottles and jugs a lot instead of Ice. The water robs flavor from the meat. I'm just not a person that flavors my meat until it tastes like something else.

Also the water can cause bacteria growth I have never used water but I have killed the deer on the back fourty and dressed it out in the front yard.

I want it to taste like deer meat but don't want the gamey taste. I read for hours yesterday on different forums and write ups and it seems it's 50/50 some folks do it every time soaking in salt water and ice for days some with vinegar also! The others are hell bent against it and let it dry age in a cooler or gutted fridge? I drain the water once a day and fill back up with ice also.

Roasts and steaks are the only time I experience a slight game taste. My and wife and I damn near live off deer meat. Most of ours gets used in hamburgers(I add some pork sausage) spaghetti, tacos, casseroles, jerky, etc. I'm bringing burgers, tenderloins and a big bag of jerky to RBD. And to be honest, all that meat with a couple cases of PBR is going to make for some epic gut rot :****:

al1tonyota said:
I want it to taste like deer meat but don't want the gamey taste. I read for hours yesterday on different forums and write ups and it seems it's 50/50 some folks do it every time soaking in salt water and ice for days some with vinegar also! The others are hell bent against it and let it dry age in a cooler or gutted fridge? I drain the water once a day and fill back up with ice also.
My wife mixes in ground beef to help.

Re: Inexpensive Meat processing equipment???

Well not a lot of input so I got these!
9f068fc257adea280042253f4bf49cbb.jpg

I have a Rival brand grinder. Not sure on the hp or anything as its 16 or 17 yrs old. I've never cubed any meat. Have some patience, the grate the meat is coming out of will get clogged with the snot/film on the meat, over and over. Just scrape it off, reassemble and keep feeding it. Of course pull off whatever you can before it goes in the grinder and don't put any silver skin on the meat in there. That **** is like leather.

Dad and I used to process all our deer, takes a good while but you know what you are getting in the end. We pulled off all the silver skin stuff and had a grinder he picked up at a yard sale, old heavy attachment for a restaurant style blender. Works great and cleans up easy.

Ok I'm a pretty quick learner I started deboning meat at 4 pm I'm done with that cubed the back straps got 4 lbs? I cut up one whole hind 1/2 the other and one shoulder looks like it'll be 25ish pounds when done? I'm sure I missed some meat and prob cleaned what I have to much tried to get everything out and off (fat and gristle) I'm going to finish this go round but I'll be returning all this stuff! The vacum sealer doesn't work worth a **** the cuber IMO cuts to deep and haven't even used the grinder yet gonna give it a try tomorrow!

No need to cube the back straps, that is tender meat as is. Cut them in 2-2.5" slices, butterfly, wrap them in bacon and slow cook them on the grill! Weight sounds right for a southern deer. There great videos on YouTube for processing. The place in sc that has a guy skinning, gutting and qaurtering a deer in less than 2mins is awesome :****: