• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Install air bags or not

Andrews2007

This weekend was the first time I pulled my 2 buggies with my 2016 F-250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke. Estimated weight of the buggies and trailer is right around 15k to 16k.

Power wise it had plenty of power to get the job done but it did have some sway in it.

I am thinking that installing helper airbags and possibly a sway bar in the rear may address these issues, but before spending the money I was hoping for some real world experience on installing airbags or should I just upgrade to a dually?

The issue with upgrading do a dually is I daily drive my truck and only pull this load around 10 times a year.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609783938785.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609783938785.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 213
No personal experience with air bags or sway bar, but I know Hellwig makes some really nice sway bar options for the 11-16 F250/F350 trucks:

I also know @Mattman347 runs Timbren on his 2012 F250 instead of air bags and routinely pulls heavy all over the place.

I got bags on my "Tondra"and they work great.
I have installed a few sets in other trucks including duallys and makes a huge difference!
It takes all the bucking out if you hit a big bump or any other reasonable unplanned road maneuver.

Run them on my 3500, helped when pulling larger trailers with sway and also bouncing. I will admit, first set was cheaper brand, then went with Firestone bags, and on board air w cab controls for air compressor. Pimp being able to back under trailer and adjust.

I had Timbrens years ago and hated how harsh the ride became when empty. Imho they're only practical if the truck is going to be loaded down all day every day.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I am going to try a HellWig sway bar to see what that does before I spend the money on airbags and onboard air

That's a good looking setup. The airbags wouldn't be a bad idea to get you level, but most sway I've experienced has to do with too much weight on the rear of the trailer. It might be worth a shot to rearrange the load and see if that helps.

I put a basic air lift brand setup under my 05 ram after I got my enclosed trailer. It's a bit more nose heavy then previous trailers and the bags helped keep it from sagging. They worked great loaded. Made the truck ride like **** unloaded with a much air as I could get out of them.

I was thinking about a set for my new to me 16 ram but so far I don't feel like I need them. If I end up leveling the front that'll probably lead to bags in the rear for towing but it's fine running stock suspension.

I put bags on my 16 F250 a few years ago and regularly pull a similar set up to yours. mine initially didn't sag quite as much as yours though. after i added them, it sure does help smooth out the ride. Run about 25psi in them when pulling a normal load. we will sometimes throw a RZR on there with its front tires all the way up on the gooseneck and then we run about 40-45psi.

this is the kit I run with the jounce bumper.

no change in ride when empty. I don't have the compressor. I just mounted the schrader valves on the bottom two holes of the license plate and use a bike pump to air them up and they air up pretty quick. My kids are old enough to know how to do it, so it is routine for them when we load up.booyang

I have not installed a airbag system yet. I have been working on other projects and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will update this thread once i do.