• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Interview spinoff thread

The Luke said:
Figured I'd bring this over here..it's a long one....

Vp of a civil engineering firm contacted me for a cad tech position. We emailed back and forth, agreed on a time for a phone call, he never called. Rescheduled, never heard from him. This happened three more time.
I would have written them off after the second missed phone call.

I had an interview at a local graphics company, several of them actually. It is a really cool company, they do a lot of hot rod, muscle, mini truck, boat show, etc, and I REALLY wanted to work there. Every year for 6-7 years I would go there with my GOOD portfolio and get the standard "Where did you go to college? No college? Can't use you." The last one that didn't go so well, the whole time I'm interviewing, I'm watching some dude on a tracing table trace a boat off a catalog photo to be made into a shirt for Sea Ray. Oh, so is THAT what I need to go into debt for and waste 4 years of my life? I was fuming, so I did what any good Christian would... I took an upper decker in their shitter and never went back.

.....I just got a call from them. They unofficially offered me the job. They want me to come back in and take a design test on microstation. But tentatively offered it to me. Lol

Told them about the death in the family and he said how sorry he was, said he'd be praying and he'd call me back next week, and to not stress this at all.

If you're around the Huntsville area, the firm I work at is hiring Civil & LA folks. We do some ALDOT/road projects in Microstation/Bentley products, but the majority of the site design and civil projects are in Civil 3D. If you're still looking shoot me a PM, and I can send you the particulars.

I appreciate that. If moving was an option I'd be all over it. We're pretty stuck in Nashville though. I think the only other place the wife has ever agreed to move is Chattanooga. Mainly cause we have family there.

We left my brother in laws celebration of life today cause my son spiked a fever. On the way home, vp of the company called to schedule an interview. Who does that at 3 on a Saturday? I told him I can't talk til Monday. He stood me up enough that I don't mind making them wait.

The Luke said:
We left my brother in laws celebration of life today cause my son spiked a fever. On the way home, vp of the company called to schedule an interview. Who does that at 3 on a Saturday? I told him I can't talk til Monday. He stood me up enough that I don't mind making them wait.
So many red flags in your posts about this company, I don't know why your still entertaining the thought of working for them.

Hell if I know. Pride of finishing what I started? That's my best guess. I'm stubborn as a damn mule. At this point I want to prove to myself that I can get a reasonable offer for a job that I feel I am under qualified for.

Also the contract at our company is almost up ugh ATT(should find out officially sometime this month if our company is keeping the contract, if it's going somewhere else or if they're doing away with it all together). Which will mean either stay with my current company and do some kind of work(no clue what), follow the contract, or be unemployed. So part of me what's a backup plan, even if it's something shitty to get me through til I find something else.

No matter how bad these people are, I've worked for worse. My previous employer accused me of making up a miscarriage to take the day off to detail my truck.

The Luke said:
Hell if I know. Pride of finishing what I started? That's my best guess. I'm stubborn as a damn mule. At this point I want to prove to myself that I can get a reasonable offer for a job that I feel I am under qualified for.

Also the contract at our company is almost up ugh ATT(should find out officially sometime this month if our company is keeping the contract, if it's going somewhere else or if they're doing away with it all together). Which will mean either stay with my current company and do some kind of work(no clue what), follow the contract, or be unemployed. So part of me what's a backup plan, even if it's something shitty to get me through til I find something else.

No matter how bad these people are, I've worked for worse. My previous employer accused me of making up a miscarriage to take the day off to detail my truck.

Talk to them and find out why things played out the way they did. Worst case scenario you don't get the job. Best case scenario they find out you have some testicular fortitude and you find out why things were the way they were. I know my boss is busy as crap and hiring and firing is towards the bottom of the list. He is hard to get nailed down because there is always someone needing his time.

Oh I plan on it. I'm working on scheduling a "final interview and microstation test". The vp I've been speaking with is supposed to be there so we can sit down and talk about all this. I plan on getting to the bottom of it. I've got nothing to lose.

The Luke said:
I understand now! I hope everything works out for you.

Final interview and microstation test scheduled for 330 today. I'm actually supposed to sit down with the vp to discuss everything.

Well, at the last interview I drew about 1.5 parking lots in autocad. This time, in microstation, I drew all three parking lots and the bldg that they wanted me to.

Spoke with the vp, he said he's wanted to hire me since our first phone call. But what sold him on me was how upset I was last time that I couldn't deliver the results they wanted but I stuck through it and am back for more. I mentioned my concerns, they were addressed, and we both decided The ball was dropped and it was just poor timing/communication.

The two clowns that helped me last time came over to me, shook my hand, said they were happy to see me back and wished me luck. Even gave me pointers.

So, he Wants to offer me top of the pay range for the position, reevaluate after 3 months for a raise, plus a stout annual bonus. Twice a month engineering training, full benefits, flexible hours, etc....

That said, I think financially it'll be breaking even. Seems to be a more stable company than the contract company i am currently at and gets my foot into civil engineering drafting instead of the incredibly niche "Telco/OSP" drafting that I've been doing.

He's going to reach out and make me an official offer near the beginning of next week.

Hell if I know what I'll do.

The Luke said:
Well, at the last interview I drew about 1.5 parking lots in autocad. This time, in microstation, I drew all three parking lots and the bldg that they wanted me to.

Spoke with the vp, he said he's wanted to hire me since our first phone call. But what sold him on me was how upset I was last time that I couldn't deliver the results they wanted but I stuck through it and am back for more. I mentioned my concerns, they were addressed, and we both decided The ball was dropped and it was just poor timing/communication.

The two clowns that helped me last time came over to me, shook my hand, said they were happy to see me back and wished me luck. Even gave me pointers.

So, he Wants to offer me top of the pay range for the position, reevaluate after 3 months for a raise, plus a stout annual bonus. Twice a month engineering training, full benefits, flexible hours, etc....

That said, I think financially it'll be breaking even. Seems to be a more stable company than the contract company i am currently at and gets my foot into civil engineering drafting instead of the incredibly niche "Telco/OSP" drafting that I've been doing.

He's going to reach out and make me an official offer near the beginning of next week.

Hell if I know what I'll do.

Take it, the fact you went back for the last part says you have interest, learn a little more and if it dont work out find a similar job. I doubled my pay in 3 years by taking a pay cut for those 3 years. never know what the future holds..

Supposed to get the official offer today or tomorrow.

Coincidentally, ATT is supposed to be meeting today to discuss who got the contract for the next two years.

The Luke said:
Supposed to get the official offer today or tomorrow.

Coincidentally, ATT is supposed to be meeting today to discuss who got the contract for the next two years.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: