• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

is 4L60E good for offroad

I have run them before and I like the low first gear and love the OD when I want to stay in 4Low between trails.

If you have room for it, go for it.

wngrog said:
If you have room for it, go for it.
room and money. Getting in one isn't that bad, but modding one to take a huge pounding from the higher horse engines is expensive. If you run a stock engine and keep it cool you'll be fine. If you put it behind something with way more power than it had stock and take out the torque management (how GM made them live in high HP apps stock, pull power at the shift) expect it to get $$$$ fast

I have a mildly built 5.3 in front of my 4L60E that was behind my 4.3....but I had it rebuilt with some decent parts, nothing too expensive and it has survived....I also keep putting new fluid in it...........................cuz it used to leak out. :wtflol: got a new plug for the harness and it is alot better now. I also changed the fluid quite a bit if I had a hard weekend or 2 of wheeling on it....tranny fluid is cheap, compared to a trans.
I love the gearing though, wouldnt change it out for a TH350/400 if I got one for free.

Brian

I'm putting a 4l80e in my next project. If you have a stand alone wiring harness for you motor you'll need a separate one for the trans. A local shop by me prefers a stock harness to modify to work with the trans. I think they redo the harness for around $500. Also the 4l80e is a heavy trans.

Latest posts