• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is it worth it , or are forums a dying media ?

Try to update the software, certs and get the boards right or not waste the time and money ?

• YES PLEASE !

Votes: 101 93.5%
  • Not worth the coin and effort

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Everyone already moved on to FB and Insta

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • STFU P

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I personally like forums over bookface etc. For the discussions and not showing everyone in my life what is going on and or what I'm talking about. Plus when I'm on a certain forum I know I'm communicating with like minded folks that have similar issues... lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've met some of the most genuine people on the forum and hate seeing it fizzle out. I can't stand trying to follow a build on fb or instagram.

I will never be a part of Instaface or Mybook. So if this forum dies I'm out.

Not sure if that is a reason to keep it or end it though now that I think about it.....

FB will neuter the community and tech this forum has created.

Tennessee Offroad (TOR) really started slowing down when it hit 10-11,000 members and was all but dead by the time it hit 15,000. I have long worried this site would follow that path. It may have not as much to do with forums as a whole being a dying entity, but more to do with familiarity and the lack of competition from a new upstart forum

I do think a good bit of people were fed up with some bs and people on here and took Kel's exit as a chance to slowly fade away themselves...

Edit: I just looked at the stats page. WOW this site took a huge dive in popularity in spring/summer of last year and has not recovered

jeeptj99 said:
I've met some of the most genuine people on the forum and hate seeing it fizzle out. I can't stand trying to follow a build on fb or instagram.

I'm with Travis, I love this place and have met some great people and some not so great. I HAVE to make it to at least one more HL ride and if it dies how are we going to put one together.

Re: Re: Is it worth it , or are forums a dying media ?

xjmarc said:
I'm with Travis, I love this place and have met some great people and some not so great. I HAVE to make it to at least one more HL ride and if it dies how are we going to put one together.
HL ride this year got rained out pretty much. Let's plan a new one now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

xjmarc said:

I met you once and broke almost instantly :rolf:

At what point do you consider it dead? There's still a select few 20-40 people that float through here and communicate.

That said, I've met some of my best friends through this website. So I'd rather not see it fade out.

Almost all forums are this way. Our local forum is all but dead. Most get on facebook. I still like the forums. Just think its gonna be hard to get folks back to like it was before face/insta. Ive met a few from here and would like to see it stay. thumb.gif

Keep the responses coming. This is exactly the point I've been trying to make too others. A lot of folks think that the forum is dead and it's going to fade away, I've been absent a long time but, I agree I have met some of my best friends on this forum and I continue to meet new people even though I don't participate on it like I once did. I'm looking forward to see how we can change that. #kelstillreadseverything

muddinmetal said:
I will never be a part of Instaface or Mybook. So if this forum dies I'm out.

Not sure if that is a reason to keep it or end it though now that I think about it.....

FB will neuter the community and tech this forum has created.

Tennessee Offroad (TOR) really started slowing down when it hit 10-11,000 members and was all but dead by the time it hit 15,000. I have long worried this site would follow that path. It may have not as much to do with forums as a whole being a dying entity, but more to do with familiarity and the lack of competition from a new upstart forum

I do think a good bit of people were fed up with some bs and people on here and took Kel's exit as a chance to slowly fade away themselves...

Edit: I just looked at the stats page. WOW this site took a huge dive in popularity in spring/summer of last year and has not recovered

I get not wanting to see everyones drama. Fb and ig is like everything, it's what you make it.

muddinmetal said:
Edit: I just looked at the stats page. WOW this site took a huge dive in popularity in spring/summer of last year and has not recovered [/b]

This forum has long been approached by people that want to make it monetary, when that doesn't happen and control isn't given they weed themselves out.

It's been like that since it was born, it's had cycles up and down. It's in a down. But these responses tell me what I've always held onto. It's the people active and putting themselves into a forum that makes it work, not the club, not cool interwebs celebrities chiming in. You have good guys doing cool ****, all the rest comes around without effort. :****:

I feel guilty that I don't add value to this group. I don't post builds, mainly because I don't like the process of sharing pics, shoot I don't even build anymore. I haven't even wheeled in a year. I pounded 3 beers the other night then broke my rig on purpose because I'm angry.

Don't kill this board. It's what I read every morning on the crapper. I don't drink coffee

I did a double take when I read this because i have been thinking about it lately. It's a deep topic but the forum is absolutely worth it. I see the move away from forums for tech and discussion as very regressive for a lot of reasons. I have seen the HL community change a lot over the years. I followed for a long time before I even became a member and it didn't have a ton of members but a active group of good folks. Hopefully it will take that path. Negativity by a few, difficulty posting pictures here and ease of posting elsewhere have hurt among other things.

I for one appreciate all that is done to keep HL going day to day.

Re: Re: Is it worth it , or are forums a dying media ?

kmcminn said:
If it does fade away or get where there is no traffic. I would look into starting a new private group on fb.
I wonder if Facebook has some sort of organizational functionality that could function as a forum?

I haven't been active on FB since it opened to everyone (most people don't remember that it originally required an "approved" college .edu email address to sign up)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
I wonder if Facebook has some sort of organizational functionality that could function as a forum?

I haven't been active on FB since it opened to everyone (most people don't remember that it originally required an "approved" college .edu email address to sign up)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Yep. That's how I got my Facebook profile. It started the summer before I started college.

Fun fact I was also one of the original 1000 myspacers. True story. That one sure paid off... lol

I think there is a ton of info on this site that comes in handy on a regular basis. A lot of real world experience from like minded and hobbied individuals. I've never looked into it. What's the actual cost to keep a forum like this up and functional?

I hardly post here myself but I do enjoy reading the builds quite a bit. I will try to take the time to post more as I build stuff. I don't do facebook but I probably should for our shop. I think photobucket going pay really hurt a lot of build threads as posting pictures seems to be a lot harder now.

I would love to see the forum stick around. It's one of the few websites I go to everyday, and multiple times to see new posts. I don't have FB and never will so this is one of the few places to find info and interact with like minded people. I'm not hardcore like most on here but still enjoy reading and looking at builds and info on weak areas and ways to improve parts.

Latest posts