• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Is my orbital junk?

barnes09

Psc orbital. I had it on a buggy for a couple years and never had a problem. Took the buggy apart and the orbital layed around for 4 or 5 years and now I have it on a toyota and it dosent act right. Kinda stiff turning and when I turn one direction or the other it's like it keeps pulling the steering wheel around and I have had the tires turn a little without even moving the steering wheel. Gm stock pump. Thanks

Sounds like you have air in your system. Jack it up and turn it lock to lock several dozen times and it should push the air out. Make sure and keep a check on the fluid level as it will go down.

I never did jack it up and turn it but I do have a couple hours of drive time on it. It's a single ended 2 x 8 fork lift cylinder.

Orbitals have orings that could have dried out jack it up and see if it wanders that is a common tell tell sign that is is letting pressure leak between ports

If steering wheel turns on its own, your lines are not connected properly. Look at the pictures to hook up and pay close attention to which direction the steering shaft is pointing in the diagram. Not that I am not a master of this problem!

Also Lance at PSC is a great resource, just give him a call.

I will go back and recheck all the lines and get it jacked up and see what it does. I spent a couple afternoons on it and had enough but I need to get back on it. Could it be something to do with the pump pressure not staying constant?

barnes09 said:
I will go back and recheck all the lines and get it jacked up and see what it does. I spent a couple afternoons on it and had enough but I need to get back on it. Could it be something to do with the pump pressure not staying constant?
Depending on the orbital, it should turn the tires even without the motor/pump running. Of course this is only if the lines are right, which I suspect they are not.

JohnG said:
If steering wheel turns on its own, your lines are not connected properly. Look at the pictures to hook up and pay close attention to which direction the steering shaft is pointing in the diagram. Not that I am not a master of this problem!

Also Lance at PSC is a great resource, just give him a call.

and/or Kelvin too

I had some serious steering issues and everyone i Talked to said it was very rare for a orbital to go bad. Turned out to be a bad pump for me. Went through 2 pumps from the parts store that were bad out of the box so I would start looking at air and whether the hoses are ran right.

I had similar issues and my pump failed on the trail and I couldn't steer it for nothing, almost ripped my orbital off the mount, replaced pump and awesome steering, junkyard pumps are cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part stores pumps are hit or miss, I bought a new GM pump for a mid 90's Chevy 3500 4x4 with a 454, seems like it was only a little over a 100 bucks, we'll worth it, use good fluid and a good cooler and it will live a long happy life.