• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep tub+LS+filter in cowl?

RustyC

Has anyone done or seen a Jeep with an LS engine and the intake flipped with the air filter in the cowl area? Brainstorming. The filter being in the cowl allows cooler air, no mud and not as load as in the cab.
I'm not sure there is room. Flipped intake would free up room on the front for an OBA compressor up top.

When I fist put a 4.3 into my old Samurai, I had built a nice intake tube into the firewall and put the filter under the dash, it was super noisy for me, sounded like a super loud vacuum leak all the time, but I had a super quiet exhaust, so that's all I heard.

I run my wrangler TJ with a 5.3L this way

Edit: I interpreted cowl as cab for some reason. I have my intake flipped and the filter is in the cab

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe fab an sealed airbox with the intake for the box being fed from the vent in the center of the cowl/windshield base?

Is the cab noise too much?

The BlaJKout buggy had a flipped intake and the filter was basically just over the top of the transmission bell housing. Kind of a pain to get to it but it worked just fine. I think it would work just fine on a Jeep if you could get it into the cowl space.

RustyC said:
Has anyone done or seen a Jeep with an LS engine and the intake flipped with the air filter in the cowl area? Brainstorming. The filter being in the cowl allows cooler air, no mud and not as load as in the cab.
I'm not sure there is room. Flipped intake would free up room on the front for an OBA compressor up top.

I know it is an xj but this would work. http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

RustyC said:
Maybe fab an sealed airbox with the intake for the box being fed from the vent in the center of the cowl/windshield base?

Is the cab noise too much?

I like this idea.