• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep vs toyota vs buggy

Clark

Just sold my 4runner, it was nice, and got the job done. But i want something with more power, the 22re was slow and steady, that's about it. I used to have a jeep with the 4.0l, more power but wasn't built as extreme as the 4runner. I liked both rigs, and have been thinking about a v8 powered buggy on tons. Now i'm stuck on which direction to take, jeep(yj/tj based), toyota(pickup/4runner based), or buggy(build myself from scratch.). I plan on v8 power, linked, 60/14, and 39-42's, in any of the 3. If you had a fresh slate, time and money to build a new rig, which cult would you join? :stirpot:

Last edited:
i have a jeep i love it! my best friend and i are also building a buggie... do you have something to trailer with? if you do a buggie that is what you are going to have to do if you go the jeep rout then you could still drive it and make it legal enough to get by...

yeah i have a trailer, i trailered the 4runner up to reiter to wheel. It was dual cases, locked f/r, 36" iroks, 22re. Went everywhere. And there is no way i'd ever ever build on a unibody, like i said, i'd either build off a yj/tj, toyota 4runner/pickup, or build a tube chassis. it's end up very buggish either way, it'd be just the jeep frame and tub, or toyota body and frame, wondering if having a title would be of any advantage. What do buggy guys do for registering them? or keeping/transferring some kind of title?

Last edited:
if I were you I'd build an 85 toyota Xcab, gray ones work best :haha:

if I had the time and money to build a wheeler for offroad only I'd probably just go with a buggy.

most just buy like a jeep floor tub then use as little of it as possible and keep the tag on the tub so it has a vin and then put on a jeep grill and hood. or what ever you want it to be a sami or what ever. nut it needs to match the make and model.

Who did the Runner go to now?

Hard to give you advise on what to build... do you wheel by yourself or w/ a family?
Where do you wheel mostly?
What is your budget?

If I was going to do it from "scratch" I would go with a Runner w/ an injected 302, C4 w/ reverse manual valve body, and either a 4spd Atlas, or a Klune to a case of your choice (D20, D300, etc...) and then whatever axles tickle your fancy... Tons, Mogs, Rocks...

I would love to have a buggy, but I also like to wheel w/ my family, and I like a heater and a windshield in the winter or on rainy days.

Who did the Runner go to now?

Hard to give you advise on what to build... do you wheel by yourself or w/ a family?
Where do you wheel mostly?
What is your budget?

If I was going to do it from "scratch" I would go with a Runner w/ an injected 302, C4 w/ reverse manual valve body, and either a 4spd Atlas, or a Klune to a case of your choice (D20, D300, etc...) and then whatever axles tickle your fancy... Tons, Mogs, Rocks...

I would love to have a buggy, but I also like to wheel w/ my family, and I like a heater and a windshield in the winter or on rainy days.

Family isn't very enthusiastic about wheeling:looser:, and my daughter is only 11 months so she won't be riding any time soon, so for now me and maybe a ride along.

I have only wheeled reiter and evans creek, i'm open to wheeling anywhere, i'll be trailering it regardless.

budget is dependant on time, the cheaper it is the sooner i'll be done. the more expensive the longer. I can do all the work myself.:beer: but seriously i'm HOPING to spend 10-15k for everything. and building as fast as i can afford the parts.:cool:

I sold the 4runner to a guy named Brad from Bonney Lake, he says he'll be wheeling it at evans mostly. He popped his crawling cherry driving the 4runner onto the trailer with no ramps in double low:D. Super nice guy, excited to wheel. I told him about NW-wheelers, and to get on here.:awesomework:

If you only want to go to places like reiter where you dont have to be legal to get around then build a buggy. If you want to be able to travel around to other trail systems where you will have to drive on roads between trails and such then by a Jeep or other street legal type rig. The laws are not going to get any more lax and enforcement is growing every day.

good point pokey, what other areas besides reiter have the same freedom, i know evans there are lots of on road sections.

good point pokey, what other areas besides reiter have the same freedom, i know evans there are lots of on road sections.

Evans will have such freedoms if we get our NOVA funds back and the project can get done:mad: Elbe is kinda like reiter not legal on the roads but drive sane and you "should" be ok. But almost all of the places on the east side require roads to get from trail to trail

I didnt read any replies, And i believe pokey will post in this thread more than anyone else.

Id build a buggy that was very weight consious and with either a ford 5.0(89-93 engine) or a tbi 4.3 , Automatic rmvb,atlas and 60's with Krawlers and coilovers.

I didnt read any replies, And i believe pokey will post in this thread more than anyone else.

Id build a buggy that was very weight consious and with either a ford 5.0(89-93 engine) or a tbi 4.3 , Automatic rmvb,atlas and 60's with Krawlers and coilovers.

Yea right (oh damn thats # 3 for me:haha:) Buggies are great if thats what you want to do. Heck if I could afford more than one rig I would have one:awesomework: But for traveling around to differant areas (not just the same place every weekend:booo:) a stret legal rig will open up 10 times the trails you can run:cheer:

Most think they can build a buggy (and have it work right/be dependable).....most find they were humbled (even discouraged) by their build. Some even give up.

If Yota's are your thing........stick with 'em.

P.S. It always ammuses me when someone says they'll use (fill in the blank) engine/tranny/t-case combo and (fill in the blank) strong axles. Really? That's all you need to build a badass buggy, huh? :haha: Good luck buddy......:;

But for traveling around to differant areas (not just the same place every weekend:booo:) a stret legal rig will open up 10 times the trails you can run:cheer:

You act like you wheel at such different places than the rest of us.

News flash Pokster......WE GO THERE TOO.:awesomework:

I really liked my jeep, but had to sell it to buy a house a few years ago. ran the toyota since then. I like toyotas but wouldn't call them my thing, if i did build a jeep/toyota based rig the floor, firewall, windshield, heater, 6ft of frame, and the title would probably be the only things left original, that's why i'm thinking skip straight to a buggy.

I understand what it takes to build a rig from scratch. Buying parts can be done in a day. The hardest part will be getting the tube chassis built, not just cutting tube and welding it together. But building a rig that doesn't have a million unforseen problems. i'd probably copy someone else's chassis who has something that has been well engineered, tried, and true. An alternative might be something like S&N. Even then, there is still an entire rig to build, the tube work is only as useful as a set of empty frame rails i'd get off a donor toy/jeep.

I won't let the amount of work turn me away from a buggy, if anything it'd be the trail only part that might kill it for me. but then again, i never drove my toyota on the street either. my Jeep was best of both worlds though, it drove like a caddy on the street. Then shined on the trail too, it was a triangulated 4link rear, and 3 link panhard front. coil sprung, flat belly skid, and 36" lower links. It was really nice. too bad i have no pictures of it, it was before i got on NWW.

One build on here that i'm very fond of is 4runnermikeyb's. I really like his one ton tj, it is a lot like my old one, but with the addition of coilovers, bigger axles, and bigger tires. The only thing is TJ's are soo expensive when i'm going to cut it all up anyways. i could get an s&n chassis for the cost of one.

anyways, i'm liking all of the comments, keep them coming:beer:

build a buggy from scratch, 4.3/fuel injected v8 ,auto and 60's with an atlas for sure. i would even think about buying a chassis... think about it, there are a hundred reasons to buy a prefabbed chassis and a hundred reasons not to buy one... do what you want, guess im just tryin to just throw that idea out there for ya:awesomework: what ever you build take your time and do it right the first time:beer: oh and post lots of pics