• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep vs toyota vs buggy

I don't agree at all, we have quite a few customer's that have built their own buggy before. It's a matter of swallowing your pride and accepting that the professional's that do it for a living can do it a little better.

For me it was a time thing. I didn't want to have to figure out every detail on this build. :beer:

I have a bender, i also have $$ for a chassis:fawkdancesmiley: i will be proud to build the rest myself

I have a bender and a welder too. Sure as hell doesn't mean I have the skills to build a buggy. Trial & error can get pretty spendy also. Leave as much of it to the pro's as you can. IMO.

I have a bender, i also have $$ for a chassis:fawkdancesmiley: i will be proud to build the rest myself

And that's the way most people think of it, in the grand scheme of an entire build, the chassis is a small percentage of the time and work. Atleast if you are building off of a tried and true chassis. A DIY chassis can make for a lot of trial and error :beer:

with all the time spent posting in this thread you probably could have got a chassis started, and already screwed up a few times :fawkdancesmiley:

Rule of thumb for new project budget:

Plan for twice as much $$$ as you think it will cost, then double that.

and of course

Plan for twice as much TIME as you think it will take, then double that

I don't agree at all, we have quite a few customer's that have built their own buggy before. It's a matter of swallowing your pride and accepting that the professional's that do it for a living can do it a little better.
You hit it on the head here. ANYONE can build a buggy, BUT its the suspension that seperates an average one from a great one. S&Ns suspension IMO is second to none, chassis has great lines, but you dont have to take my word for it just look what the big boys run around this state and your question will be answered. All the joes that say that say they can build one that will keep up are just blowing smoke. I have built more than a few rigs, but I am not too proud to say that the pros build it better. When I placed the order @ S&N I wanted to know that when done it would work just like a pro built rig and not like a guy that had a bender and an idea. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt change a thing.:;

My rig is more S&N Fab than any POS tuber out there.......but it's still a POS hacker. The next step for me it to take ALL my parts and transfer them over to a Bravo II chasis. Darius will do all the work.:flipoff: I hope to have this done sooner than later.

For anyone else reading this thread and has "only" 25-30K to spend and wants instant satisfaction.......call S&N and ask to buy a customers used rig. There's always some $$$ dude that just built one, wheeled it 3 times and now wants to sell it. :rolleyes::haha: I'd do this (then sell mine) in a heart beat......but I gots to have my queers steers.:redneck:

The buggies are the same way the sandrail industry went. Cant build, just buy.:; Maybe you will run into the same model/color buggy as yours! :haha:

Just get a bender and get a little more satisfaction out of the deal.:awesomework:

Even larry can "snap together" a buggy kit!:haha::haha:

By your definition then you must not like any rigs out there......On my rig I built everything but the chassis but that's not enough? Typical rig be it Toy- Jeep- etc the owner built less of the rig than I did mine........
Just getting a bender doesn't cut it if you don't have the tech. Like I said before, all buggies aren't created equal. Just because a rig is made out of tube doesn't mean it's going to work well.:;

so why are guys running so many 4.3's? and not aluminum v8's? Seems like with all that money you have to throw at a buggy might as well have some power too right? does it really make that big of a difference with the extra size and weight? seems like a couple inches and a couple pounds would be worth the benefits.:stirpot:

V8's are cool. The 4.3 has plenty of power though. I beat everyone I race.:cheer:

I don't know......maybe someone that actually knows about junk and stuff should chime in.:redneck:

so why are guys running so many 4.3's? and not aluminum v8's? Seems like with all that money you have to throw at a buggy might as well have some power too right? does it really make that big of a difference with the extra size and weight? seems like a couple inches and a couple pounds would be worth the benefits.:stirpot:

4.3's are for folks who wish they had V8's.

Aluminum V8's are for the folks with $$$ or stumble across a killer ****in deal.

Try something different, use a turbine engine :awesomework:

V8's are cool. The 4.3 has plenty of power though. I beat everyone I race.:cheer:

I don't know......maybe someone that actually knows about junk and stuff should chime in.:redneck:

I have not got to race you yet. Lets race on the powerlines! Also if you ever sell toy bug's chassis please pm me right away. I have a TPI 4.3,T350, and Atlas sitting around for another build.:76:

4.3's are for folks who wish they had V8's.

Aluminum V8's are for the folks with $$$ or stumble across a killer ****in deal.

Try something different, use a turbine engine :awesomework:

you mean like a complete ls2 swap including an 05 gto for $2500?:mad: just barely missed that one on craigslist.

almost scored a complete 02 escalade EXT (LQ9 6.0L H.O.) for $1500 off there, but i think the guy was going to report it stolen after he sold it to me:eeek:

i can't afford a v8 unless it's off craigs:masturbanana[1]: but i'm trying :cool:

once i get my peices together i'm heading to S&N:fawkdancesmiley:

4.3's have plenty of power for a light rig, Alow easier packaging, Are plentiful and cheap.

ls variants are naturally expensive and will make you cry when you huck a rod threw the block.

my 2 cents

Do a search on pirate about the aluminum blocks cracking. tons of people have the problem. I would go with cast truck block if I went to v-8. But I love my 4.3