• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep yj trans swap

how big a deal is it to go from a 5 speed behind a 4.0 in a 94 yj to a auto

• jeep yj

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • auto trans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It depends if you want to shift it manually it not. I swapped one into my Jeep using the RAdesigns Winters shifter and it was cake. I used a Cherokee flexplate, starter, and TC. My swap was on a 4.2. I imagine the swap on a 4.0 would be the same or easier.

If you want it to shift like a normal auto, there's a bit of wiring involved to splice the tcu into the harness.

you ancered my question i was hopeing i could get one from a xj and make it manual what you sayind is i can run a basic shifter and will it up shiftand down shift with out hooking up wireing are they 4 speed autos they dont reli on the cable to shift like a 700r4 doess do they

tennessee_4x4_man said:
you ancered my question i was hopeing i could get one from a xj and make it manual what you sayind is i can run a basic shifter and will it up shiftand down shift with out hooking up wireing are they 4 speed autos they dont reli on the cable to shift like a 700r4 doess do they

They use eletric solenoids to do all the up-down shifting.

If you buy a kit from Radesigns, it has a wiring harness that hooks to the trans and switches are built into the shifter.

you have to have a shifter to shift the linkage from Park - R - N - D , then the electronics make it shift gears 1-2-3-4

I had a Toyota with a AW4 from a Cherokee in it, it had 2 shifters. The stock Jeep shifter hooked to the linkage, and then an 4 position electric switch shifter from an arcade game (like Crusin USA) mounted right behind the Jeep shifter to control 1-2-3-4 shifts.

You could shift to R from any gear, and it was fully manual, what ever gear the arcade game shifter was in, is what gear it would start/stay in.

I did mine about this time last year. The RADdesign is worth the cost. Great customer service also. I think it was 4 wires...maybe 3. Anyway, super easy and worth the time.

found a guy has this Aw4 transmission 174000 miles. $150 and hes got this also Rad designs aw4 override shifter new. $100 is this the same trans they use in auto yj and tj will this work for me

tennessee_4x4_man said:
found a guy has this Aw4 transmission 174000 miles. $150 and hes got this also Rad designs aw4 override shifter new. $100 is this the same trans they use in auto yj and tj will this work for me

The AW4 came in Cherokees.

But yes it will work in a YJ

i hurd some where the factroy was like a tf999 like 22.5 long and the aw4 is 25.5 wich i can make work cause i streching rear axel
nick send me your number i cant find it

731 694 5936

I don't know nuthin about jeep transmissions though haha

muddycreek probably knows more about what you are wanting to do

ok i need muddys number what about runing the tf999 they were stock from 91 to 95 there a 3 speed auto are they simpler to hook up

muddy you are the man i just got a trans ans case from a 96 xj one guy said that was a funcky year that had a tcm had to be wired in factroy pcm to make it work i need a little help on how to wire up the 96 xj trans where it will up shift and down shift with the cpu