• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"JeepJeep" YJ build on a broke mans budget

jeepjeep

This is all pretty much going to be old news for most of yall, If nobody cares just axe this thread so it ain't wasting space.
IMG_0258.jpg

Started with this, pretty much standard issue YJ, 4" SUA lift, 33's, 30/35, aussie in front, I6, 5 speed. I've had the Jeep almost 6 years, DD'd it through high school and mostly just wheeled it and fix what broke since then. Everything was showing its age, the gears in the front where almost toast so when I grenaded the rear end I decided enough was enough.

IMG_0265.jpg

Hit up the pull a part for XJ springs and driveshafts from a 90's F250.
IMG_0264.jpg

Got a set of stock YJ front springs from a friend and got them all roughly in place to see what I was working with
IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

For axles I had remnants of a 77 F250 behind the shop, 30 spline FF 60 and a LP Dana 44 "HD", best part was the price $0.00
IMG_0279.jpg

Bought a BTF stretch bumper off a guy real cheap and got it welded on
IMG_0288.jpg

Got the axles roughly in place and got it back on its own weight again
IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

My shackle angle on both ends sucked so I was going to have to cut and move some brackets around so I moved the Jeep into the shop so I could be on a good smooth level floor to work.
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

I ended up cutting the springs hangers off the frame, moving the rear back and the front forward a couple inches and I moved them up a inch or so while I was at it to lose a little height. Got another couple inches of stretch and a much better shackle angle.
IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Discovered some binding issues at full droop which opened up another can of worms for me to sort through.
IMG_0347.jpg

The pinion was pointing 2* DOWN so I made some 8* shims to get it up some
IMG_0388.jpg

Now my caster was miles away from being right so I proceeded to cut the C's off to turn them. I tried to make a nice little cut all the way around and found out I was kidding myself If I thought it would be that simple.
IMG_0756_zps5a247448.jpg

Got my big grinder out and went to work and finally got enough weld gone so they would turn loose.
IMG_0808_zps83c7606e.jpg

IMG_0809_zps5075fbb6.jpg

Got them back on, set my caster, then burned them in.
IMG_0826_zps932cf97f.jpg

IMG_0828_zps2a5259eb.jpg

While I had everything tore down I milled, drilled, and tapped the passenger side knuckles for highsteer
IMG_0761_zpsf8761cc4.jpg

IMG_0762_zps52caf8d0.jpg

Latest thing I've done is started shorting the driveshaft for the rear and caught myself on fire in the process. Carhartt jackets burn way too good by the way.
IMG_0853_zpsf802d8d3.jpg

IMG_0852_zpsd4dc3e62.jpg

cool build I like the budget builds and working with whats laying around you know the freebies thumb.gif

Thanks guys, anyone got any good tricks to figure out how long I need to make my rear driveshaft. I can droop it all the way out and measure but I don't really have a good way to fully compress the rear end to measure it that way. I'm a little worried about making it too long and running out of slip on a hard bump.

Keep posting! There's always got to be room for junkyard tech and ingenuity.

As for the driveshaft, you can always tach scrap together at the length you think it should be and cycle it.

Markrobinson said:
Keep posting! There's always got to be room for junkyard tech and ingenuity.

As for the driveshaft, you can always tach scrap together at the length you think it should be and cycle it.

Its the cycling I'm having trouble with. I can droop it out easy, I think I'm going to pull the rear springs apart and just put it back together with the main leaf's then use two big ratchet straps to suck it down to the bump stops.

I sprayed a little paint on the front axle today and burned the spider gears together.
IMG_0882_zps5033a8ab.jpg

IMG_0884_zps943f9046.jpg

Re: Re: "JeepJeep" YJ build on a broke mans budget

Cut a piece of plate and drop it between the gears and weld all the gears solid.

Will do, you mean to basically fill in the "window" in the center of the 4 gears right?
Edit: found pics on google. It makes sense, it seems like it will take some stress away from the carrier.

Re: Re: "JeepJeep" YJ build on a broke mans budget

96cherokeexj said:
Any updates?

Kinda, I got the front axle back together temporarily and got the rear u-bolted in so I could get it out of the shop to clean. I'm taking a couple month break from the Jeep to paint my truck.

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I finally got the bitch done.

I got really lazy about taking pictures but aside from a few loose ends the jeep is pretty much done. My wife wanted to go the the SRRS race at Choccolocco last weekend so we got after it and got it done.We literally finished putting everything together the put in on the trailer at 10 Friday night and left at 6 AM Saturday.

Steering heims and hardware

Fuel pickup and plumbing inside the fuel cell

Fuel cell mounted in the jeep and plumbed

I ordered the filler neck and rollover valve from Tanks Inc. Jeff Ferguson at Piedmont Metal Processing sheared and broke the 1/8" mild steel plate for me. I made the bungs and welded it all up. It holds just over 10 gallons. Best part is I've got right at $100 in it. Beats nearly 250 for a RCI that takes up the entire area behind the seat.

Steering and front axle stuff complete

Slip and twist style anti wrap bar made from 2 CAT II tractor top links and some 1-1/2 SCH 40 pipe.

Ended up with 104" wheelbase, 18" of belly clearance, and 25" to the rockers.

jeepjeep said:
I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I finally got the bitch done.

I got really lazy about taking pictures but aside from a few loose ends the jeep is pretty much done. My wife wanted to go the the SRRS race at Choccolocco last weekend so we got after it and got it done.We literally finished putting everything together the put in on the trailer at 10 Friday night and left at 6 AM Saturday.

Steering heims and hardware

Fuel pickup and plumbing inside the fuel cell

Fuel cell mounted in the jeep and plumbed

I ordered the filler neck and rollover valve from Tanks Inc. Jeff Ferguson at Piedmont Metal Processing sheared and broke the 1/8" mild steel plate for me. I made the bungs and welded it all up. It holds just over 10 gallons. Best part is I've got right at $100 in it. Beats nearly 250 for a RCI that takes up the entire area behind the seat.

Steering and front axle stuff complete

Slip and twist style anti wrap bar made from 2 CAT II tractor top links and some 1-1/2 SCH 40 pipe.

Ended up with 104" wheelbase, 18" of belly clearance, and 25" to the rockers.

Jeep turned out great! Looks awesome. How did it perform?

Latest posts