• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JK Questions.

poolman

My wife wants a mall crawler. I know there were some years that had issues. What years? And what do I need to look out for? Thanks

My wife wants a mall crawler. I know there were some years that had issues. What years? And what do I need to look out for? Thanks
Anything 7 years old or older is junk. Newer ones still have lifter and head issues, but at least the engines don't use 8 qts of oil between oil changes

Don't get a 12 model, used anywhere from 1-6 quarts between oil changes and at 95k miles had to have the heads reworked and every valve replaced. From what I've researched the oil issue is a ring problem.

The 3.8s (07-11) burn oil like a MF'er but if you just keep a check on it and keep it full, they are actually pretty reliable otherwise. Supposedly it's a badly designed ring that makes them burn oil so much. Probably wouldn't be hard to put a better set of rings in but it's a lot easier just to keep it topped off.

The 3.6l (12-18) has more power, doesn't burn oil, but it known to have the lifter and head issues pretty commonly.

I have a 2010 3.8l with 78k miles. I bought it at 50k. I drive it hard and beat on it pretty much every weekend. I just keep a check on the oil and drive it. It's absolutely amazing what these things will go up with a lil lift and some digger tires.

The 2009 that I am building has 169k miles and the engine has been replaced with a junkyard engine. No idea what happened to the original but it took out the passenger catalytic converter which they didn't replace.

I've got this one for sale. 2012. Doesn't burn oil or have any issues. 89,xxx miles, ARB locker and a lot of other good stuff. Was the wife's daily. Asking $22k. North Augusta. SC. 803-292-6229

Attachments

• 20210412_184444.jpg
    20210412_184444.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 200
  • 20210412_184512.jpg
    20210412_184512.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 187
I have an 07 with 95k miles. 30k of those with a ripp supercharger. It did consume oil like others have stated until I went to 10W30 and it barely burns any at all now. Its a buggy now and only gets out a few times a year so I cant speak on daily driving any more.

One other thing to note though, the older ones like I have can develop TIPM issues that can affect the windows, door locks, wipers, sentry, etc. I got stuck in the middle of a trail at AOP for a few hours while I tried to figure out why the computer was locking out the injectors.. reset the sentry fuse and it magically started.

Latest posts