• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just a little more - 5.3 RPM

POPS58

If anyone was at Hannibal this weekend you know what I'm asking about.AC is running a stock 5.3,the harness is from Howell and they sent the computer with it.We don't know what RPM's he's turning,may find out this week wiyh a tack.We need a little more for the straight aways.He hits the rev limiter about half way down the streches at Hannibal.What suggestions would anyone have to gain just a little more.We don't really want to do the cam,lifters and springs yet but if that is the best way we may.Thinking about a programer,LSX intake and a bigger throtly body.One question is what would be a safe RPM for this engine without poping?Any input would help greatly.Thanks

Re: Just a little more

what diff gears, trans and tcase gearing is he running? Everyone was hitting rev limiters on that straight.

Hell Brian Shirly was hitting the limiter on his buggy at the bottom of the rocks off the big drop. From what he told me that is 50 mph in low range!! and he still had the straight to get through. Granted he has an entirely different setup.

Did howell move the rev limiters up? I know Jim's Performance can turn the rev limiters up and bump up the timing on the computer. May be worth a shot to give him a call and ask him. He knows a lot about the Chevy Vortec motors

Matt O. said:
Did howell move the rev limiters up? I know Jim's Performance can turn the rev limiters up and bump up the timing on the computer. May be worth a shot to give him a call and ask him. He knows a lot about the Chevy Vortec motors

He's the man, more than I can say for howell. Always willing to answer questions, help diagnose any pronplems we've had with any of his stuff. At least 10 harness/computers between me and the rest of the club.

POPS58 said:
If anyone was at Hannibal this weekend you know what I'm asking about.AC is running a stock 5.3,the harness is from Howell and they sent the computer with it.We don't know what RPM's he's turning,may find out this week wiyh a tack.We need a little more for the straight aways.He hits the rev limiter about half way down the streches at Hannibal.What suggestions would anyone have to gain just a little more.We don't really want to do the cam,lifters and springs yet but if that is the best way we may.Thinking about a programer,LSX intake and a bigger throtly body.One question is what would be a safe RPM for this engine without poping?Any input would help greatly.Thanks

I'm sure you know this, but jsut adding cam/intake is not going to majically give you more RPM's? The only way to do that is to have the computer "flashed" to bump up the rev limiter. On a 5.3 I probably wouldnt turn anymore tahn somewhere around 6500k range. I know in LS1's anything after that with stock rod bolts your just asking for trouble...(ask how I know ::) ). Also a ls6 intake would help you out a good bit, with a stock TB. No need to go any bigger unless your going to run a big cam/big heads.

Stock 5.3 revs out at around 6000+-. I just ordered my harness from howell and was asking the same questions. I would look into trans, transfer, and gearing options.

I would regear that sucker and make sure the torque converer comes on early....like 1800-2000

4.11s or 4.88s.....borrow a third, disconnect the front shaft and see what it does.

Thanks for all the input,this has helped alot.Backing up a little he has a stock th350,5.0 t-case and 3.73 gears.Were checking on some 4.3 gears for the t-case and changing the intake with either a programer or flashing the computer.Thanks again now just to get it done before Badlands.

when we got in to the cams 4 our motor the cam will only make sow much hp then it runs out . but the rpm will still go up. ours comes in at 2100 rpm and out at 6100. we run a 3.8 tranfr.

Just a update.We swaped intakes to the aftermarket,don't even know what it is,LSX I think.He said he can feel a little more power maybe a little quicker.We're going to try to swap out transfer cases to a 4.3 and I think it'll be fine then.Anyone have a 4.3 they'ed like to trade for a 5.0?

POPS58 said:
Just a update.We swaped intakes to the aftermarket,don't even know what it is,LSX I think.He said he can feel a little more power maybe a little quicker.We're going to try to swap out transfer cases to a 4.3 and I think it'll be fine then.Anyone have a 4.3 they'ed like to trade for a 5.0?

Hell, the way the courses are designed, you should do 3.8

When funds become available you can then swap in lower Ring and Pinion gears if the course is more technical. From all I have seen they are concentrating on fast versus technical these days.

We think the 4.3 will work better.As it was he could make it bog down just a little in a real tight turn.Now with more air and maybe a programer later the 4.3 should keep it from losing any power.We're trying not to over power so to keep good traction on the starts.He's trying to get the buggy ready incase he gets to go to KOH,a dream come true.

POPS58 said:
We think the 4.3 will work better.As it was he could make it bog down just a little in a real tight turn.Now with more air and maybe a programer later the 4.3 should keep it from losing any power.We're trying not to over power so to keep good traction on the starts.He's trying to get the buggy ready incase he gets to go to KOH,a dream come true.

If he were to win the East XRRA would that get him a spot? Or does he have to win at the finals?

I don't know,I'll have to do some of my expert compuuter skills to search that one out.Hadn't thought of that.Thanks

Until the list comes out, you won't know who is actually in that does not have to win a series championship to get in.

I would think Jesse Haynes would be "In" without winning his way in if he wanted....so who knows ???

Heres what I found....
Original 13 13
Top 10 from 07 10
series champs
we-rock east-west 2
xrra east-west 2
score 1
corr 1
-------------

I think insurance only allows 75.That leaves 46 spots.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

With the dates they gave for when they would announce who is in is before the championships are decided. I am not sure how they are going to figure that one out. There are also some corporate spots given in addition to what you listed Pops.

Tim, I have a 4.3 in my Jeep. I don't think I can go lower. However, if you're willing to do the work , I'd be willing to swap (temporarily) until the end of the season.