• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Keep it simple

skinny_pedal

Pickup up this 88 Samurai the other day as a new project. I want to keep it basic so I can enjoy driving it on occasions, do some exploring and not have to worry about the law bringing me down.

I pulled it outside today since it was sunny and pulled the top off to clean it. Got the 23 year old carpet out and cleaned the floors. Jeff came over with his compressor and cutoff wheel and we modded the door hinges:cool:

My plans for now are a spring over on 31's, cage, lockers and tcase gears. I want to be able to enjoy it this summer. Then around the new year I can pull it back in and do bumpers and wrangler spring swap on 33's:cool:

Anyway Im excited, something different than Toyotas and now I can go topless.
000_0002-1.jpg
000_0004-2.jpg
000_0005-1.jpg
000_0006.jpg
000_0007.jpg
000_0008-1.jpg

Clean lil Sami! :awesomework:
If ya need anything let me know---I have no geartrain parts left, but lot O' misc interior pieces...:redneck:

So I bought it with a bent front housing. Fordzuki stepped in and Gave! me a front housing, Derick I owe you one:awesomework:

So the gf was watching American Idol this evening and that was all the motivation I needed to go out to the garage and tear the front end out. Gonna take the pieces to work and put them in the parts washer to make them nice and purdy for reassembly. Its funny how small stuff is compared to Toyota.

Attachments

• 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 913
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 915
why tear the front axle apart? it wasnt broke was it?

You will be in there soon/often enough as soon as ya start wheeling it.

Derek's a great guy :awesomework:. Hopefully I can get some time off this summer and join you out on the trail and see how well those things do with little work.

Got the front end back together this weekend and got to drive it. I have come to the conclusion again that I hate carburators and they should be banned from the road:D Can't wait to pull the weber off for fuel injection.

Tonight I pulled the rear 3rd out and got the spool installed. Ill put the diff back in tomorrow so I can drive it to work Friday and have the new exhaust built to replace the hillbilly sh*t it has now.

000_0009.jpg

Checking pattern and backlash before teardown
000_0007-1.jpg
000_0006-1.jpg
000_0002-3.jpg
After torqueing everything down good idea to go back and check backlash and pattern again to be on the safe side:D

Because 33's and a locker will snap stock sami axles like twigs.......ask me how I know.

How do you know? I jump mine and rod it like it's stolen with 33"s and break everything but my axles. :fawkdancesmiley:

short arm t-case mount cracked, and then I reinforced it (panty liner) ripped off the frame the next time from hitting whoops at the bottom of a dune and then gassing it. Normally I drive with finesse but the dunes bring out the stupid in me. :redneck:

Last edited:
I've wheeled many sami's on 33's and only once popped an axle any I blame that on the yukon jack and and an amaizing spotter in a bikini :cheer: Never ran a locker in the front though. I twisted a rear axle about 2 splines worth over 7 years with a lincoln locker and it never snapped.

How do you know? I jump mine and rod it like it's stolen with 33"s and break everything but my axles. :fawkdancesmiley:

short arm t-case mount cracked, and then I reinforced it (panty liner) ripped off the frame the next time from hitting whoops at the bottom of a dune and then gassing it. Normally I drive with finesse but the dunes bring out the stupid in me. :redneck:

I've wheeled many sami's on 33's and only once popped an axle any I blame that on the yukon jack and and an amaizing spotter in a bikini :cheer: Never ran a locker in the front though. I twisted a rear axle about 2 splines worth over 7 years with a lincoln locker and it never snapped.

I was running 33's and a Loc-rite in the front, and I'm pretty easy on my rig. After being 0 fer 3, and depleting Kev's supply of stock axles, I went to toy axles. Now I feel like I can beat the piss out of it with no worries...

Well got started on the spring over. Had my buddy Nick burn the spring pads on. I did stock rears up front. I used the two bottom leafs off a stock front pack and added them to the rears. Turned out good. Need to get another set of stock fronts so I can do the rear springs. Gonna get my u-bolts and steering ordered this week. Then I just need the shock mounts built and I can drive it before the sun goes away

8da1acc249c7__1309411957000.jpg

100_0001-4.jpg

100_0002-4.jpg

100_0003-3.jpg

100_0004-3.jpg

100_0005-3.jpg

100_0006-2.jpg[]

Last edited: